What are you currently listening to? 2022

@DavidP this would be a good one for you to transcribe note for note not improve over. Itā€™s got great phasing, double stops, full bends and call and response with the singer. You could learn a lot by getting this as close as you can. Itā€™s already got a nice slow groove but slow it down even further if need be.

1 Like

Well after that Iā€™m listening to Blues Jam In Chicago Vol. 1 & 2 from the ā€œ1967-1969 - Fleetwood Mac The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions - 6 Disc Setā€. Total PG emersion :sunglasses:

1 Like

I managed to get the main riff down - I wonder how long the rest, especially the faster mid-section, will take :smiley:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

And now I am into the playlist that pops up when you search "fleetwood mac before the beginning - live 1968-70 " in YouTube.

I declare if faced with a choice of Bluesbreaker alumnii action, Iā€™ll pick PG and Fleetwood Mac over EC and Cream (though there are some great Cream songs ā€¦ Badge, White Room, Crossroads spring to mind).

There would be no other choice surely ? I am not sure if those Blues Jam albums are on youtube as that disc set also contains some rare recordings. But the jams are worth a listen, as you get a feel for how the band interacts with each other, the session players, producer and sound guys. Quite educational and something not often heard. :sunglasses:

MT and The Rolling Stones were not bad either :slight_smile:

@Jozsef

For sure, Jozsef, MT was a part of the Stones best period, being in the band for two of their greatest (IMHO) albums. I didnā€™t think of him in the context of the reply as I think both EC and then PG were part of forming those legendary bands, whereas MT joined the Stones as a replacement for BJ. And the the qualities and contribution of BJ, MT, and RW is a topic of much fun debate.

When you canā€™t afford adrummer.

6 Likes

:rofl:

Now I know what to do with the Low Rider over winter !

1 Like
1 Like

If you donā€™t know Frank Watkinson, he put a few covers on YouTube and quickly garnered a loyal following. As in about half a million followers.

His work is very useful to study for people who talk/sing naturally. As Leonard Cohen proved to us all, thereā€™s more than one way to skin a vocal cat. Thereā€™s nothing he canā€™t interpret.

4 Likes

Great share Pat, that was beautiful. :sunglasses:

1 Like

This popped up on my Slow/Steady Treadmill Playlist today and I immediately thought of @DarrellW

3 Likes

ā€œHeard That Soundā€ by MxPx (Featuring the horn section of another band, Five Iron Frenzy; MxPx doesnā€™t usually include horns.)

A song about hearing a concert from the outside and being drawn to it, sitting outside listening to the music.

As the lyrics say,
ā€œIt seems like misery loves misery
But my favorite songs they keep me company
So many memories come down to this
I may be lost but Iā€™m not hopelessā€

Will I ever be able to play fast-paced rock music like this? Who knows, but, a man can dream. :rofl:

2 Likes
1 Like

Nice one Toby, Drones wasnā€™t my favourite album but that was definitely one of the better tracks!

1 Like

Saw this guy on Monday, wow what a gig, excellent playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQXA-8y2Y8

1 Like

The Pretty Reckless released a new ā€œsort of unplugged albumā€ last week filled with covers and their songs done uplugged. I was lucky enough to see them live and they are such a tight band. Good old school rock nā€™ roll with loads of fresh energy. (Also, Death By Rock and Roll is such a perfect rock album. Pacing, order of the songs, lyrical motifs, etc.)

Also, Alter Bridge released a new album just a bit less than a month ago. Thereā€™s some great bangers on there and I am always amazed how they manage to create super listenable songs but quite complex to play at the same time. + I love the album artwork. Got myself a CD but might go for the vinyl as well just for the artwork!

Last on my playlist today is Victor Wooten. Over the years, Iā€™ve always been aware of him and really enjoyed some of his performances with Bela Flack, but only got seriously into his music after I read both of his books The Music Lesson and The Spirit of Music (great reads by the way)! His live version of Amazing Grace is absolutely insane!

1 Like

Winding down to a bit of Zappa:

3 Likes

Great share Luka, listening the Other Worlds at the moment, canā€™t beat Taylorā€™s vox !! Will follow up the AB album tomorrow ! :sunglasses: :metal: :sunglasses: