What are you currently listening to? 2024

Free Birdā€¦

1 Like

The official video is out now.

Some guitarists were easily recognizable, but not all of them.

3 Likes

Love it! I donā€™t understand people who think the pipes are some form of medieval torture. I mean, sure, if youā€™re just learning to play by all means go far, far away from everyone. But once you have your chops down, itā€™s like any other instrument.

Give this one a listen, in my twenties I dragged an old-school boom box to the top of Pyramid Mountain in Jasper National Park so I could play this one song.

1 Like

Welp, I was right about Ringo on drums, that one was easy. But when it came to the guitarist I was able to pick out the Jeff Beck and Tom Morelloā€™s parts and that was it.

Itā€™s not just Ringo, but also his son Zak.
And yes, Jeffā€™s and Tomā€™s part were the most distinct. Itā€™s really cool how Tom Morello can keep his signature sound with that heavy whammy usage and still manage to fit the song.

I brought up some pics of Pyramid Mountain while listening. It fits.

1 Like

Aside from the 20 lbs of stereo and batteries strapped to my back, my only regret from that day was that I couldnā€™t hear it echoing through (if it even did) the valley below.

1 Like

Just heard Stephen Sanchez for the first timeā€¦
Good guitar, great voice!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=stephen+sanchez+see+the+light+live+performance&client=safari&sca_esv=7994f51f647571a9&hl=en-us&biw=390&bih=660&tbm=vid&sxsrf=ACQVn08VjU1zFotHq0UOP1Dm3S-fFzgzlw%3A1711230201078&ei=-Uz_Zf-7BKawur8Pyq6vsA8&oq=stephen+sanchez+see+the+light+live&gs_lp=EhBtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXZpZGVvIiJzdGVwaGVuIHNhbmNoZXogc2VlIHRoZSBsaWdodCBsaXZlKgIIATIGEAAYFhgeMgUQIRigATILEAAYgAQYigUYhgMyCxAAGIAEGIoFGIYDMgsQABiABBiKBRiGA0itgAFQohNY9W5wAHgAkAEAmAG_AaABmSWqAQQyLjM0uAEByAEA-AEBigIQbW9iaWxlLWd3cy12aWRlb5gCI6ACpiXCAgQQIxgnwgIFEAAYgATCAgYQABgIGB7CAggQABiABBiiBMICChAAGIAEGBQYhwLCAgsQABiABBiKBRiRAsICCBAAGIAEGLEDwgIOEAAYgAQYigUYkQIYsQOYAwCIBgGSBwQxLjM0oAfTvAE&sclient=mobile-gws-video#vhid=6oqVYotWUzGmjM&vssid=videos-44a89f46

Tod

Just finished Geddy Leeā€™s biography ā€œMy Effinā€™ Lifeā€ So naturally Iā€™ve been on a major Rush binge. Amazing!

Blockquote @Richard_N Love it! I donā€™t understand people who think the pipes are some form of medival torture.

Any rock, metal, or puck with pipes are absolutely super cool in my book. Agreed Its amazing and fits so well.

2 Likes

Absolutely!
If you want to ā€˜cut through the mixā€™ put a cantor in your hands.

2 Likes

since my guitar journey I have been broadening my musical tastes and listening to more old folk type music. Some of these classics are solid. Cat stevens Harold and Maude soundtrack has some cool songs in there I plan on learning some as I advance. I lot of songs from my early childhood.

Kurt Cobains montage of Heck, specifically the Song Rehash, itā€™s probobly not for everyone.

Nirvana tribute by Post Malone during covid. The song I am looking at is Very Ape.

Peter Green stuff. I found out about him when someone in this thread suggested looking into Fleetwood Macs first album. Wow, I am amazed at how unknown he was, the quality of this first albume is. I also didnā€™t know the Judas Priest song Green Manalishi that was a redo of his, this was super metal for 1969. I meanFleetwoodMac? Wow. Was anyone doing stuff this heavy way back then? Very very few. Some of his songs I was familiar with, I just had no idea of his name, he was amazingly skilled. Such a sad story.

This is a interesting compilation of super old videos of his, a ton of amazing blues stuff. Itā€™s not short but I really enjoyed it the other night.

That was sick. My wife loved it especially the Metallica at the end of the first video.

1 Like

Itā€™s hard to go wrong with Metallica.

One of the great crimes of playing with a famous musician is that you are often overshadowed by them, take Danny Kirwan for example. Itā€™s hard to imagine what early Fleetwood Mac would have been like without him.

1 Like

If you donā€™t follow Mateus, you should.

1 Like

No guitar in this song, but ā€¦ Oh, how good is that guy?!

Reminds me of Ren somehow. So perhaps something to check out for @mathsjunky , if you donā€™t already know him? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, I can hear the Ren thing there - I know what you mean. Iā€™ll have to check him out!

1 Like

I used to like the Sylvian Fripp collaboration years ago, this came up so I had to give it a listen!

2 Likes

Fun fact, Julian played with Carlos Santana when he was just 8 years old.

YouTube wants me to build a Whamola.
:man_shrugging:
All I did was innocently drop Les Claypool and Whamola into the search box and itā€™s giving me how-to videos. (Hint: the last video has some outstanding ā€œlocal bandā€ music in it)

How it started, Les Claypool going to town on the Whamola.

That bass sound you just heard, came from one of these.

Where I ended up.