Last train home (ballad version) - John Mayer
Minor Swing (Mark Knopfler version) - Django
Honky Tonk (Beach Boys version) -Bill Doggette
Nobody knows you when youā€™re Down & Out
Miserlou -Dick Dale

The Ultimate Dreamer that I will never be able to achieveā€¦

Ocean - John Butlerā€¦ Absolutely Unbelievable

Tod

If you havenā€™t already seen thisā€¦ prepare to be astounded!!!

Tod

3 Likes

:exploding_head: The man is a magician :mage: :crazy_face: :star_struck: Thanks for shares, love it! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Some tasty guitar playing there, thanks for sharing. :star_struck:

1 Like

Did you notice that heā€™s playing an 11 string guitar? One of them is MIAā€¦ makes me wonder if thatā€™s ā€œon purposeā€ & if so, why???

Amazing guitarist though!

Tod

1 Like

Beautiful tune, thanks for sharing! Never heard it before, but wow - stunning what heā€™s doing.

If I see it correctly, the second g-string is missing, probably on purpose when I take a close look on the headstock. There is a little ornament where the tuner should sit. Why excactly this one? I donā€™t know, but he for sure knows what he wants to sound like. :sweat_smile:

Roger McGuinn has the inverse twin of this with a doubled g-string and all others single, if I recall that correctly. :grinning:

1 Like

Hey Beanie!

I was introduced to this piece by my daughterā€™s boyfriendā€¦ he tells me that part of John Butlerā€™s story is that he was homeless for quite some time & survived by busking with that guitarā€¦ both he & the guitar have been through only heaven knows what! He more recently plays with a trio & they make some amazing music together!

Tod

1 Like

I know, right?! I didnā€™t even know they existed! :laughing: I assume itā€™s because the G string is always the problem child? Like it can ring out too much, so keeping it single helps with that? :thinking:

Roy Orbisonā€™s Mystery Girl album, anything Wilburys and Dock of the Bay are my acoustic dreams. A longer list more suited to electric, but hey, one thing and a time and need to allow the other half time to get used to the ideaā€¦

1 Like

More a general technique than a song really, but I dream about being able to do any of the seven songs played here with something vaguely approaching the same precision and musicality.

1 Like

Just came across this nowā€¦ yeah, itā€™s on purpose, and pretty simple. JB just doesnā€™t like the way the extra-high G string sounds, so he removed it.

I love John Butler - so many good songs. Amazing player.

1 Like

the list of ā€˜dreamerā€™ song for me is LONG:

SRV - Little Wing, Tin Pan Alley, Life by the Drop
EVH - to many to list
AC/DC - again, to many to list
Metallica - MoP, Orion, Call of Cthulu, Creeping Death, Damage Inc.
and a laundry list of 80ā€™s hair metal/90ā€™s grunge (Ratt/Crue AIC and Pearl Jam) and a lot of modern ā€˜outlawā€™ country and southern rock (Blackberry Smoke, Whiskey Myers, turnpike troubadours, etc)

2 Likes

Windy and Warm - in the style of Doc Watson is my current dreamer songā€¦Iā€™m chipping away at it!

1 Like

@oztelemann - Iā€™m with you this one too! Iā€™d also love to build up to the dexterity of playing loops with this level of complexity. For now, Iā€™m deep in the trenches of practicising accurate starts and stops of way more basic stuff; but itā€™s a lot of fun. Slowly slowly - chipping away ;0)

1 Like

It was a revelation to me when I realised you only need to do the accurate start/stop thing on the first loop. After that you can start any time before the loop, and stop any time after the loop. The important thing is to play accurately and not make any extraneous noises.

I also bought a Boss RC-5 which is an absolutely brilliant pedal. You can make a loop with a drum machine and it gives a nice visual display of where you are in the loop.

Thatā€™s interesting to hear the Boss RC-5 has a good visual display. Iā€™m using the Donner Circle and love that it offers drums but donā€™t find the display countdown clear. This is a great tip on the timings of the overdubs - Iā€™d not made that realisation yet. Now you mention it though, it makes a lot of sense. Doah - always learning!

1 Like

The Boss RC-5 is much more than a looper. It has 99 memory slots you can name so I use it for a lot of things. One slot is a metronome, then I have presets for various drum rhythms. But you can also load up wav files into it and I have slots for various backing tracks. So I can turn the knob and find, for example, ā€œBlues A 80bpmā€. Hit the button and off it goes.

This is the display. The top section shows the beats, and the bottom bar shows where you are in the loop.

boss

Before I picked up the guitarā€¦ Anything by Dire Straits, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelinā€¦

Now after hearing recently Crazy Trainā€¦ (Liliac versionā€¦)