What's your next guitar?

You are correct in that a coil tapped HB sounds different to a SC, but also the position of the pickups is quite a major contributor to what gives each guitar it’s sound.

The sounds are similar, but if you’re chasing those specific SC tones, a coil tapped HB isn’t likely to deliver them. They’ll deliver near enough for most purposes, but probably still lack that distinct Strat bell tone, or Tele twang.

But having said that, my next guitar is going to be coil tapped, and I’m fully expecting to be lost in a world of switching combinations where I have no idea what’s on, off, up, down, or actually making a sound :confused:

2 Likes

There’s the crux … at the moment I am still chasing (at an ever so slow pace) the ability to play and my PRS delivers sufficient range of tones for noodling over a BT or producing my own originals (few and far between). I’m not into that thing of replicating tone to play rhythm or lead over an original backing track, so no need for the strat or tele tone.

You’ve really not got a hang of GAS have you? :laughing:

:rofl: I know somebody once pointed out that guitars are relatively more affordable than equipment associated with many other hobbies. So maybe if I had far more cash on hand I might be more indulgent. That said, I have far more guitar related stuff than I truly need, so a minor sufferer of GAS :joy:

Edit the title to focus on music-related broader GAS, and the need for a Trio+ is bubbling :rofl:

3 Likes

I think this depends on which hobbies you choose. In my case it’s definitely true because my other hobbies are cycling and motorcycling. Cyclists have the same issue with just one more because many will have a racing bike, a mountain bike, gravel bike, winter bike etc! It’s true that at the top end you can pay silly money for bikes and guitars but where 500GBP/USD will buy you a nice guitar that will serve you for years, there’s a lot more trash than treasure for that money where bikes are concerned

2 Likes

When I think of the money and time I invested in totally rebuilding a 1984 Jaguar XJ-s (12 cylinder), I have a long way to go buying guitar and music related stuff. Driving the restored XJ-s was thrilling but the joy I get playing guitar is much more satisfying.
That is my excuse for any and all future GAS remedies and I am sticking to it!

3 Likes

I have an Epi Les Paul with splittable double HBs and a SSS Fender Strat. The Epi has 3 years of advantage, so I got quite used to the options I can select. However, I still haven’t managed to wrap my mind around how exactly the various combinations of the Fender 5-way switch and the pots work. The master volume is fine, but the 2 tone controls (one of them a push-pull pot) are still a bit of a mystery to me.

The standard 5 way switch is really easy when you think about the switch position in relation to the physical pickup positions-
Neck position - Neck only
Neck/Mid - Neck and Middle
Mid position - Middle only
Mid/Bridge - Middle and Bridge
Bridge position - Bridge only

Tone knob nearest neck only affects the Neck pickup.
Tone know nearest the bridge affects the middle/bridge pickups.

That’s assuming standard Strat wiring (there are variations, but I don’t think Fender use them on genuine SSS Strats.

However, the fact it also has a push pull pot probably means it has some extra combination option. A quick google would suggest you have a Deluxe Strat, in which case it adds the Neck pickup to the Mid/Bridge position, so you get all three pickups connected at once when the push push switch is active - [Fender Deluxe Strat Push/Push Mini-Switch Explained | Fender Guitars](https://www.fender.com/articles/maintenance/the-push-push-mini-switch-explained

For a little non-standardness, I have a 4 position switch on my Tele, which puts both pickups in series to essentially create a wide spaced humbucker.

1 Like

On the original SSS Strats the neck was the top tone the middle was the bottom tone and the bridge had no tone on it. Pretty common to see a mod so the bottom tone is for both the middle and the bridge. My used Strat was moded that way. I thought the push/pull switch was put in to engage the bridge pickup all the time but I might be mistaken there.

Dave

It most likely will never happen for me, but should I dream of a guitar I would love to have, it would be a Semi-Acoustic Guitar. - Lee Ritenour, John Scofield is among some names I know use that kind of Guitar and they look awesome for my eyes and luv the sound :blush:

This on the picture should be a vintage - VSA500W Natural Walnut - As I have no knowledge about it, I am not sure of true or not. But looks awesome. :+1: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Since I started learning almost 3 years ago I’ve been saving my pennies for my dream life partner (guitar lol). I always promised myself that when I got through the beginner course I’d go out and start searching, I must of played 50 different guitars in the last six months at various shops😂. So many brands are making quality instruments now and I have also realised no two guitars are the same, even the same make/model.

I played a new Martin HD28 about 3 months ago, the moment i hit that first G chord I thought ‘Oh my’ :hushed: I felt the vibrations travel right through me, incredible. Bit stiff to play (I find most brand new out the box acoustic guitars to be like this) but with a set up and a bit of time getting it ‘played in’ I think it would be something special. Alas it was a little(a fair bit if I’m honest lol) out of my price range :disappointed:

I then played a pre owned 2014 D28 just over a week ago at my local shop, wow! :star_struck: almost mint condition, set up was perfect and sounded incredible. I was sat there for an hour and twenty minutes playing through all songs I know, going through different tunings ect. It was dreamy, it was the best I’ve ever sounded while playing a guitar and everything just felt ‘right’. It was up for a good price and they even offered a good deal (£200 off), but after spending some of my budget on recording equipment and needing a new laptop I couldn’t quite stretch to afford it​:disappointed:

I also think it deserves someone with a better skill set than me to get the most out of it, but a friend said something to me that really made me think…‘you don’t train for a marathon in flip flops’…

Anyway, sorry for the essay lol :grimacing: if it’s still there in two weeks that’s gonna be my next guitar. In fact, as I’m writing this I’m thinking I’m going to put down a deposit tomorrow :joy:…maybe

3 Likes

I think my next now will be a HH single cut. Probably an Epiphone Les Paul 60’s or maybe even a proper Gibson, or a Heritage… but to be honest, my playing doesn’t justify the cost of those just yet. I like the Ebony one with the white scratchplate, or the Bourbon burst colouring always looks better in real life than the pics.

I’m also looking for the cheapest alder black Strat body I can find to maybe try to do a self build replica of you-know-who’s black Strat as a learning project.

My current guitar is this Ibanez but I’ve been thinking about the Gretsch for a while now. I feel that I should get more mileage out of the Ibanez before getting another one but man is it tempting. :tired_face:

1 Like

I just bought an Epiphone J-200 a few weeks ago, which I love but I’m already thinking about my next purchase. When I first started this guitar journey I really wanted a Gibson guitar (a 1957 SJ-200 in vintage sunburst to be exact). Gibson is a little out of my price range as an amateur musician who’s going to make no money playing guitar. So I found my Epiphone that looks very similar.

Anyway, next I want to get an electric guitar. I think I want a Fender Strat but the more I look the more I like Epiphone Les Paul models. I’ve got to save up so I’m not going to buy it right away, so I have some time to research.

Then after I buy an electric guitar I think I might get a bass guitar, but that probably won’t be for a least another year.

Playing guitar is an addictive and rather expensive hobby but I wouldn’t change learning guitar for anything.

Go for that Martin Lee… sounds like you got a cracking deal on it. You will regret rest of your life if not. Sounds like you really connected to it :grin:

1 Like

I know, Trond :grimacing: think it could be the one, it just felt so right. It puts me over budget but after playing many guitars while searching, nothing has come close. I’m going to the shop Friday to sit with it some more and see what can be done :crossed_fingers: you’re now one of the many voices in my head whispering “buy it” :joy:

Im shouting Lee :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Played a fair amount of different guitars myself. for me its quite rare i just clicks with a guitar and everything feels just right. Happened to me with just two guitars and both were not mine :grin: they were Martins though…
but seriously… D-28 that felt just right…. Hehehehe, thats a hard one :rofl:

1 Like

PRS McCarty 594 SE double cut, some time in future once I learn enough to justify new guitar. =) I love everything about that guitar, but worried the neck will be too chunky (vintage pattern) for my hand. There is a thinline McCarty as well, but only S2 which is almost double in price. :frowning:

I’m going to have to give a PRS a go one day they’ve always looked stunning.

I’m somewhat surprised that nobody mentioned D’Angelico! They make some really amazing guitars in several different styles… my last purchase was a D’Angelico Deluxe ‘59 Black Dog Hollowbody with their version of the Bigsby tailpiece… P90s… I took it to my local guitar shop for a setup and they said the setup out of the box was perfect… they didn’t do anything!

It plays like a dream, sounds beautiful unplugged & feels so good in the hands… My goal is to play some Rockabilly… maybe an AVOYP in the future…

Next guitar though? Money no object? A Duesenberg TV Phonic in Venetian White… that’ll never happen, but we can still dream, right?

Tod

2 Likes