What's your next guitar?

Looks pretty cool Todd, love the colour ! :+1:

Thanks Tobyā€¦ I know a Duesy isnā€™t in the future but I would like aā€™60s vibe 12 string electricā€¦ Rickenbacker is probably the Standard & I love the iconic look but $$$$$ :cry: donā€™t think thatā€™s the answer either.

Anyone played the Danelectro 12 string electric? Looks cool - love those lipstick :lipstick: pickups (interesting story there BTW) & affordable-ishā€¦ no Danelectro dealers in my area though.

1 Like

Iā€™ve perused those Dā€™Angelicos online and they do look nice.

As for me, Iā€™d like my first acoustic and also a better electric than my Squier Bullet. It sounds bright/tinny to me? Well, itā€™s fine for learning. I donā€™t have GAS yet, Iā€™m waiting to purchase another guitar till I can play well enough to test them out whenever I get to an area that has guitar stores. I am currently in love with bright yellow guitars. Although a deep green wouldnā€™t be bad. Yes, I know, how frivolous. :smile: I think I want an acoustic first though, smaller than a dreadnought, Iā€™ve tried out a few locally and I just donā€™t like the size of the dreads.

Hi! I currently have an acoustic, but Iā€™m looking to get an electric guitar very soon! Iā€™m very excited! The guitar I was looking at is the ESP EC10. For one because Iā€™m on a budget, but I like the look and Iā€™ve heard good things about ESP guitars so Iā€™m going to give it a try! But I also kind of really wanted an ESP because the band that has inspired me most plays with one. And the shape of the EC10 looks a bit like a Les Paul, for WAY cheaper.

I was also looking at amps and came across the Boss katana mini. Iā€™m a bit unsure about it, Iā€™ve heard mixed reviews, but I might just chance it because itā€™s cheap, and most Iā€™ve heard say itā€™s good for the price.

Any advice is welcome!

2 Likes

Erin, you could also have a look at the Epiphone range of LPā€™s. Even cheaper then the ESPā€™s and they get really good reviews.

Amp wise and Iā€™m just going off my own experience here, if you are looking at a Katana I personally wouldnā€™t get anything less than the 100. This has a FX input which I think it a big bonus going forward. Yes it might be more than the mini and the 50 but I think it will save you money in the long run.

1 Like

Such an interesting question and thankfully one I havenā€™t mulled over too much in may yearsā€¦but am now. I only :rofl: own 5 guitars but two of those are acoustic and the others electric. Of those only two are really ā€œgoodā€ guitars with the other being adequate for learning. Iā€™ve owned all for many many years with the exception of my PRS SE Custom 24 which I bought a few years ago. It is by far my best guitar and the first one which was reasonably expensive for me.

So Iā€™m now contemplating something to go alongside it as I use it for ALL types of songs whether itā€™s driven high gain rock or clean ballad type stuff. It works well in fairness but
would like to see what other guitars might offer alongside it.

So on my shortlist to try out are an LP Classic, ES 355 or I think a Fender Strat (probably in a HSS config). Budget isnā€™t so critical so Iā€™ll look at both the Epi and Gibson but probably only buy the Gibson if I can really tell the difference. Not really looked at the Strat variations yet but I think Iā€™ll only go down this route if I can see the single coil tone enhancing the songs Iā€™m doing a the moment.

Now just need to find a nice afternoon to visit a store and try things outā€¦at least I feel comfortable doing that with some sense of what I am looking for.

1 Like

Having variants of these, each of which is also duplicated (!!) I think thatā€™s a good starting point. Iā€™ll be interested in which direction you go or you could get all three and use them on a rotational basis !!

I only say the latter, as I have reorganised the studio a little, with three individual stands in front of the main rack. So the three guitars I am using this week are brought forward to ease access. This week (and last weekā€™s line up) is LP Cherry, T-Bucket Acoustic (OM practice) and the Gretsch Streamliner, who knows what next week will bring :rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: I definitely WONT get all three (well not at once)ā€¦ It would certainly be almost possible to by 2 (or even 3) Epi or Fender for the price of one Gibson.

1 Like

Thanks Colon! I will definitely take a look at the Epiphone LPā€™s and the Katana.

Did you buy it?

Top of my ā€œnext guitarā€ list is a Sire L7. Itā€™s a nice-looking LP-style guitar with triple binding, a satin-finished neck, a well-sculptured heel-joint, and vintage-sounding humbucker pickups.

I love the looks and sound of my current LP-style guitar, but itā€™s gonna need a fret-dressing soon, and it weighs 11 POUNDS!!! I tried a 9 lb. Epiphone Les Paul at the guitar store last week and was amazed how much more comfortable it was to play, even when sitting.

The big question is, do I go Gold-Top or Tobacco-Burst? I gotta see them in person before I decide.

Got to be gold top. I `ve got a sunburst but a gold top is next

I think tobacco-burst is gorgeous.

Those Cort electrics have some nice specs for the price!
Thanks for sharing that Dave.

Anyone got a good affordable OM to recommend around $200 - $400? Preferably 1 with a pick-up. Added bonus if it sounds good when strumming too on top of fingerstyle.

This is such an incredibly difficult question and itā€™s been bugging me for almost 24 hoursā€¦ I think I need helpā€¦ :roll_eyes:

This was 2-9-2023

1 Like

Still reading through this thread for inspiration and new guitar ideas but forgot to chime in myself, so here goes (WARNING: incoming GAS rant)!

I definitely have an ever-growing list of guitars on my wish list, but the one in my near future is a Fender Strat. I started out with a Squier a few months ago (which the local guitar salesman sold to me as a ā€œFender guitarā€ :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:). It was literally painful to play (horrible fret work was shredding my hand), which led me to buy an Epiphone LP which I immediately fell in love with playing. That led me to tinker with my Squier Strat and following a massive upgrade project to it, rekindled my love of playing a Strat. So all of that has led me to want to buy a Fender Strat again (circle of life & all of that). They donā€™t sell actual Fender Strats here in Kuwait, nor can they be shipped here by most online shops Iā€™ve checked (probably due to the local distributorā€™s monopoly of the brand rights), but Iā€™ve got an upcoming trip to London so Fender Strat here I come!

I originally had my eyes set on the Fender Player Plus HSS (Silverburst) but have been tempted by the Fender American Professional II Stratocaster HSS (Dark Night) (I do love the Dark Night finish :heart_eyes: Iā€™m a sucker for unique finishes). Iā€™ve gone ahead and reserved the American Pro II from Andertonā€™s for pickup when I arrive there. While I initially wanted the Player Plus for the noiseless pickups, 12" radius, and medium jumbo frets (prefer those last two on my Epi LP vs the 9.5" and Narrow Talls on my Squier Affinity Strat), but since Iā€™ve been playing my Squier exclusively for the past month or so, Iā€™ve gotten used to them. I already have noiseless pickups on my upgraded Squier Strat, so Iā€™m thinking that trying classic Fender Single Coils might be a good option.

So the plan is to try out the American Pro II (with 9.5" radius & narrow-tall frets) for a few weeks once I buy it and see if itā€™s a keeper for me. Iā€™ll also try some other guitars in the store with 12" radius & medium jumbos and see if I prefer those or if the difference isnā€™t noticeable to me. If I end up preferring those, an American Ultra Strat HSS might be the last option. Ah the GAS is in full effect, but itā€™s a once-in-a-lifetime (or at least for the upcoming year) to travel abroad and have a chance at acquiring an American Strat :blush:

As you can see, Iā€™ve put a lot of thought into this (my wife lovingly prefers to refer to it as my new obsession) for good or for worse :rofl:

2 Likes

I just clicked here by chance and saw this comment. Couldnā€™t resist a gentle poke :wink:

2 Likes

Good stuff.

But factor in some travel time if you arenā€™t visiting the vicinity of Guildford. Andertons is about an hourā€™s trip from central London.

Cheers

Keith

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I noticed itā€™s outside of London (unfortunately PMT London didnā€™t have any in stock), will have to be a day-trip excursion. Already saved the trip directions on Google Map :smiley: