Where does your username come from?

Mine comes from my gaming username, which in turn was a nod to a laser metal cutting machine that I was using at the time.

Hopefully the source of my username is obvious as I’m named after Rory Gallagher’s iconic guitar.

When a kid I had a little cassette recorder and one night the local radio station, in Hamburg near where I lived at the time, played two recently released live albums. Live at the Isle of Wight (with Taste) and Live in Europe. I managed to lay down a few tracks on my little cassette and I was hooked.

I also bought into the whole image, as a 14 year old, particularly the battered 1961 sunburst Fender Stratocaster. I now have my own Rory Strat, not a tribute model but one close to the specs of Rory’s I put together from parts.

I have also thrown myself into the whole repertoire and particularly live recordings. But these days I also follow other players of the same era: Paul Kossoff and Peter Green, hence the love of Les Pauls. Peter

Hi Malcom!

That’s pretty cool!
Is there any significance to the _171825 part?

Tod

1 Like

OK Peter!

I had actually wondered about the “rory” part of your username in the past since your first name is Peter… the “strat” part being pretty easy!!!

Funny (although sometimes tragic) how certain memories/events from out teens can define us as adults. Like if something really scares you as a kid & you stay terrified of it for the rest of your life! Or certain tastes that you remember that are just the BEST because of them being your favorites!!!

Once when I was 12 & spending my summer day at a public pool, I was hanging out with my buddies & this really, really pretty girl (about 16 or 17 years old) walked by & said “Hi!” to us. We were 12… goofy… kinda stupid about life… and I was so in awe of her that I couldn’t even say “Hi” back. A little later that day, this girl hit her head on the diving board & the lifeguards had to dive in & save her.
So, years later I meet the woman who was to be my wife. (She’s 5 years older than I am). In the course of talking about our youth, we found out that we had both lived in the same neighborhood and often frequented the same places, including the pool we both went to in the summers. One day, long after we were married, she mentions that she knocked herself out at the pool & the lifeguards saved her from drowning! :astonished:
Now, I know that this kind of thing happens with some regularity… but… I believe she’s that same pretty girl I had a major crush on that hot summer day back in 1974!!! :grin:

Tod

1 Like

@CATMAN62 Tod that’s a great story and highly likely. I had slightly similar stories with girls but nothing that ended in marriage!

When at school in Germany I had a little band with my classmates as one does. After I’d returned to the UK and many, many years later, I tracked one down online to find he’d been a professional drummer and had appeared on German TV.

1 Like

Tried Boris, taken. Tried Boris with random number, taken. Then I thought, I might add that famous chord progression, 1564, and then I made a mistake, so got 1565. :rofl:

1 Like

Hey Boris!

That’s funny… typo changing your name!
I just played through a I V VI V progression in A & thought it sounded pretty good… actually better than a I V VI IV to my ears… at least in A using open “cowboy” chords!!! :rofl:
So, in the end, all’s well that ends well!!!

Tod

1 Like

Well Peter,

My wife & I are not sure but it is at least somewhat likely!!!
There were other things that we feel are “possibles” too. Where she lived has a big open field behind the back fence which is where I liked to walk our dogs - we had a German Shephard & a Golden Retriever who loved to chase rabbits & roadrunners. My wife remembers seeing what were probably my dogs running around behind her house!!! We never attended the same schools but when she was a cheerleader for her high school, they would sometimes visit the junior high schools that “fed” into their school for certain sporting events like baseball games. I played baseball for my junior high team, so again, it’s likely that we saw each other! We met each other years later because of cars. We both love muscle cars of the 60s - I had a 1968 Chevy Camaro & she had a '65 Mustang… we started talking about cars, went out for ice cream & ended up dating. I’m pretty sure that I remember seeing her car way before we met because it was immaculate & I wanted a Mustang in the worst way during my high school years!!! It’s pretty crazy!!! :crazy_face:

That’s pretty cool that your drummer ended up as an actual drummer in life!!!

Tod

The 171825 part just refers to birthday dates in my family

1 Like

My user name comes from my name: Arkadiusz, but here in Poland people usually call me Arek (short version of the name) and Aroo is just a nickname from the high school :wink:

And 46 comes from my MotoGp idol Valentino Rossi. I started watching MotoGp in 2005 and he was riding like crazy back then. Since, then I love Motorbikes almost as much as I love guitars.

1 Like

Start another thread with this question. Don’t hijack this one.

You are probably right Mark, let me edit it and give it a go as a separate topic

1 Like

Hello Arek!
Nicknames are good for user names! Welcome here!!!

Tod

1 Like

Calling all you new members who have joined recently….

WHERE DOES YOUR USERNAME COME FROM???

Come join us in this thread!!!

Tod

Great topic that I’ve just stumbled upon and some interesting responses. :thinking: My username is a combo of ASTRO (Astronomy) and FIRE (Firebird) which are two other (among many) interests I have. Astronomy is pretty obvious. Firebird is after the ‘68 Pontiac Firebird I’m restoring - a loooong project. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

well, I’m Vivienne Banks, you can see that :rofl:. my username is Kate South because I ‘Denverised’ it. doesn’t make much sense. I’ll explain. Kate is my second name, and I am from south Tasmania (australia). Denverised because John Denver gave himself the name that he was known by, John=his second name, and Denver=sort of where he was from. his actual name was Henry Deutschendorf.
I love JD, so I thought it would make a cool username, and alias for other things :grin:

6 Likes

You might have just created another ‘sub-thread’, Vivienne…
Lars Dublin :rofl:

2 Likes

@Kate_South @brianlarsen

Sounds like fun :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Charlie_Jozi

Duncan Stevenage :scream:

1 Like

everyone will be Denverised soon :rofl: it dont work for everyone :joy:

2 Likes