Where does your username come from?

It donā€™t work for me, as Iā€™ve not even use my real first name since 1967 !! Only parents, teachers and tax officials ! :rofl:

ā€¦ but weā€™re getting closer, Duncan :laughing:

3 Likes

Andrew Knebworth!

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

After all these years ? Thatā€™s as close as youā€™ll get ! :rofl:

Well I guess mine is probably a little obvious. My given name is Simon and I play bass.

There is a back story though.

Quick version: I needed an instagram account for a project, and my daughter and I decided on ā€œSimon_plays_bassā€. (No idea why I left the underscores out on this account - Iā€™ll see if I can change it, and maybe Iā€™ll do the same on YouTube and Vimeo if I can).

Longer version:

I was asked to dep (sub in American) on bass for a gig. I said ā€œyesā€ , which then meant I had to learn about 16 songs, including 5 or so originals, in a 3 week period. Iā€™d never depped before, so I hunted around for advice on how to prep for a depping gig and could find approximatelyā€¦ā€¦ā€¦nothing.

So I thought I would create a video diary that might be of use for others. I consulted my social media advisor (my eldest daughter) for tips on how to go about it. 1st thing I learned was that I was going to do a vlog, rather than the ā€œoh, so did you grow up in the 80s?ā€ video diary. We then decided to post the daily(ish) releases to instagram, with the intent to eventually edit and post to YouTube. So I needed an ā€œinstaā€ account name. After some deliberation my advisor and I agreed on the rather snappy ā€œSimon_plays_bassā€.

Epilogue: I did post regularly through the 3 week period :metal:. But nearly 2 years later and I still havenā€™t produced the YouTube version :flushed:.

Did you steal it from her, or did she steal it from you? :wink:

https://m.youtube.com/c/EllenPlaysBass

Hey Dale!
Cool Username! I had spotted the robot from ā€œLost in Spaceā€ that you use & assumed that the Astro part was a reference to astronomy! The fire part had me curious thoughā€¦ now I want to know, what year Firebird is you favorite? If you say 1968, weā€™re buddies for life!!! I absolutely love muscle cars from the sixtiesā€¦ ā€˜67 & ā€˜68 generally are my favorites for most models! ā€˜67 Vette, ā€˜68 Camaro, ā€˜68 Firebird, ā€˜67 Mustangā€¦ so cool! My wife & I both had several but then ā€œlifeā€ (read that as kids!!!) happenedā€¦ we recently acquired aā€™65 Vette, kinda makes up for those years driving a SUV!!!
Have fun with your guitar!!!

Tod

Hi Vivienne @Kate_South!

Youā€™re right about thatā€¦ it donā€™t work for me!

ā€œDenverizingā€ my name would make me Alton_Albuquerque!!! Imagine that on a marqueeā€¦ Alton Albuquerque playing Live Tonight! One Night Only! (ā€˜cause I wonā€™t be asked back for the second time)!!!

No, I think Iā€™ll stick to Catman!!! :joy:

Tod

1 Like

Hey Simon @simonplaysbass !

Not entirely certain that your username is entirely correct for a GUITAR forumā€¦ wellā€¦ your backstory might create some ā€œallowancesā€ā€¦

OKā€¦ You can stay!!!:joy:

Have lots of fun and enjoy all of your instruments!:guitar: :drum: :musical_keyboard:

Tod

Your jersey is ready for you:

1 Like

Nice.
Only one ā€œRā€ in Albuquerque though!!! :joy:

Tod

BTW - where did you find that with the 62 on it?

far out :rofl:yeah, that wouldnā€™t really work. catman is cool

1 Like

Al Alburquerque was a Major League Baseball player. A pitcher for a couple of teams in his career. That picture was of one of his Detroit Tigers jerseys.

1 Like

Interesting! Iā€™m surprised that Iā€™ve never heard of himā€¦ thanks, Mark!!!

Tod

1 Like

I donā€™t have a middle name :roll_eyes: :sob: :rofl:

Iā€™ll be no royal court (the small village I grew up in) - this is kind of cool, though. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Bet it sounds better in German Lisa ? According to Google it would be ace !!

Kein kƶniglicher Hof

:rofl:

2 Likes

I can hear the stadium crowd !

KKH KKH KKH KKH !!

:rofl:

2 Likes

Oops KKH + 1 :metal:

2 Likes

Yes, it works really good in German, Toby! Surprising, normally things tend to sound awkward if constructed like that, lucky me. :rofl:

Iā€™ll keep it in mind in case we form a band some day - Donā€™t miss: KKH is in town tonight (still without the +1 though). :sunglasses:

2 Likes

no middle name? thats sad.