Why are you studying theory?

Most if not all of my guitar/ musical heroes cannot read a note of music. If I can read a note i’m better than them right? :laughing::laughing::laughing:. Seriously though, It can’t hurt to learn. I have always been a “why” person and theory explains some of the weirdness that is a fretboard.

1 Like

Hey Raymond,

I’m finding its not just the “why”, but its also a roadmap, a set of keys, a definitive guide. And its highly mathematical.
When composing/ noodling/ doing your own thing, you’ve got much more of an idea of what might sound good, because you’ve got an understanding of the structure/ function of notes, chords, triads, scales etc. Much more honed experimentation. Hugely beneficial.
I thinks its also extremely useful when learning/analysing music, and then putting some gathered ideas in your back pocket to use elsewhere, either as is, or modified. Not sure about anyone else, but 95 % of my musical “ideas” are either directly stolen, or modified “stolen goods” :sweat_smile:

I’ve comes across alot of commentary on the web etc about theory, and how you dont need it - " just use your ears", " just feel the music man" etc. Ive found these are usually from people who have bypassed theory. Nothing wrong with that. Whatever works for you.

I certainly do believe the ears and the “feel” are critical to music, but add to that some understanding of how it all works, and that’s a much more powerful combination I reckon.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

Learning theory will help me understand relationships and what sounds good together. That should help a lot in terms of being able to figure a song out on my own. I’ve never attempted to learn music theory before, so this will be new to me. In my 60s I’m not sure how easy it will come, but I surely going to give it a shot. My big goal would be to be able to improvise.

3 Likes

I have always wanted to learn theory since I started playing guitar. I can play songs and improvise using the minor pentatonic, but I’ve only learned the most basic theory and I think that understanding how chords are formed and a better knowledge of theory will move me past the rut I’ve been stuck in for a while.

3 Likes

It’s a death bed regret thing for me. I am not dying but having that thought that I would ask myself at that moment meeting my maker. I was playing with passion, self learning until life and adulthood happened :joy:. I stopped. Sold my Ephipone. Self learning in the era when YouTube and internet were absent was painstakingly hard. So now with all these access, I want to play again but this time properly rather than following the tabs of the songs in the Guitar World magazines without knowing why.

3 Likes

I am the type of dude that read the manual twice before starting fooling around.
Theory will help my progress. I have no doubt about that. Also when listening to the great legends that have been around, they all know their theory very well.
I have been writing a lot of poems and asked people around to write some music. Hardly got any response and nothing serious. I need that theory to compose my own music. I am on it. I need to learn all this theory yesterday. :nerd_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses: Dang it…that was my secret I should not tell anyone…ups… it slipped :smiling_face:

1 Like

Many years ago I tried to learn guitar and it was all theory driven and I didn’t understand it (so I stopped playing entirely). Now later in life I’ve picked guitar back up and after playing now for a couple of years am interested in theory. I’d like to improvise during a jam and be able to understand what other players are communicating to me…not just naming string and fingers! Now that I have some practical experience it is starting to make sense to me and I am enjoying learning. Thanks for your course as it makes sense and applies theory to practical playing.

4 Likes

As a lifelong music lover, I have always been mystified and entranced by the hidden language of music as well as the patterns, and how those patterns can evoke so much feeling. I took the first 2 levels and really enjoyed your approach to teaching the “whys” right away. I just found your web site last week and have been working my way through your generous offerings of classes and it has really helped to fill in some big gaps in my self-taught education. So, there is a large element of gratitude, along with the payment, for this website.

3 Likes

I want to learn theory as part of learning how to play lead. I am hoping to cover which scales go with which chords and why. I would also like to understand why different scales have different positions and what they are used for.

3 Likes

As you have said Justin, I want to start this lesson because I want to have a complete understanding of each of the things I do on the guitar. I think it will also help me in writing songs and being creative, though it’s not my main goal right now. So, thanks for organizing this lesson for us :wink:

2 Likes

I want to be able to play the music I create in my head. I have been an amateur singer and songwriter for the past few years and haven’t made the progress I would have liked to so far. Learning music theory in conjunction with a stricter practice schedule will allow me to play and transcribe songs I want to play, create songs that I struggle to replicate on the guitar, and improve my ability to do all of this through the framework of music theory.

2 Likes

I’m studying guitar theory with the goal of being able to improvise when picking up a guitar. I want to be able to have some understanding of what notes sound good when played together and feel like I can be creative - rather than rote learning someone else’s creation.

2 Likes

I’m now 64 and have had many false starts in learning to play guitar. I’d love to be able to confidently play with other musicians and I think a good understanding of music theory will help with that goal. I’ve always found great music in the right setting very moving and emotional (especially this nice little clip) ode to joy and I’d like to provide that feeling for others. Just look at the rapt attention and joy in the faces of the onlookers! Also, playing is fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Luv that. Got this one Ravel’s Bolero at a shopping mall. It is so cool. - Theory is needed, no doubt. It takes music to a total different level. - Sure we can learn to play ok without, but having an overview and understanding of theory just opens pandoras box. - There are many benefits from knowing the theory when also able to put it into practice.

2 Likes

Well, I’m learning theory because I want to be able to play more freely, It seems like while you’re stuck in the 5 first frets and open positions you aren’t actually playing. So, I figured it was time to become a better guitarist.
I did learn a bit of theory (harmonic field/tonality) and it was and eye-opener. Before that I didn’t actually know where the notes were on the fretboard. So now it’s time to continue the journey.
Finally, my goal is to be able to write my own music and find different voicings/sounds for the songs I learn or write. Also, I hope it’ll help me learn and create some guitar solos.
Hope everyone has a great time!

2 Likes

I’m learning music theory as I go through the beginner course because I want to understand what’s going on under the hood so to speak. My long term goal is to be able to improvise and easily learn metal songs that I enjoy.

3 Likes

Hi, @Wund3rBoi! I think it’s great to learn theory at the beginning of your guitar journey. The way I see, I can only do you good.

2 Likes

I want to learn music theory to help me better understand what chords go with which scales etc for improvising.
Also as I have got older I don’t like to things half assed anymore, If im gonna do something do it properly.
It will also help keep my brain stimulated.

3 Likes

At first, it was because I felt like I needed to in order to become better at guitar. I wasn’t able to really see any other reason. Over time, and on my second time through the course, everything is making more and more sense. It really helped to see it all, take a break, and now come back for a second time through.

3 Likes

Some 45 years ago at school music was one of my subjects. We were being taught music theory. At the time it actually made sense to me and I didn’t find it hard but unfortunately I was young and lacked attention span :rofl::scream:. The result was it went nowhere.

Now I have time and have somewhat improved my attention span and my persistence :+1::grin: and want to learn at least enough basic theory to complement the practical side of guitar.

I would love to get to the point where I can comfortably play basic songs by ear solo over chords and play with other people👍

3 Likes