15 Character Title Limit

Can we please remove or reduce the 15 character limit on topic titles? I understand why a limit is in place, but 15 characters is far, far too many. 8 would be more than enough to prevent the kind of issues the limit is there to address.

Thanks for the feedback, Ross.

I have no idea if this is configurable or now.

@LievenDV, can you comment on this?

Itā€™s definitely configurable in other forum back ends Iā€™ve used, though I have no direct experience with this one. Likely an admin-only option.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure where youā€™re coming from here @goffik truth be told.

Your title to this topic (including spaces) is 24.
Sometimes (often perhaps) we need longer topic titles.
I donā€™t know why that would be seen as an issue.

Richard

I believe he is referring to the minimum number of characters, not the max. Reading between the lines that is.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Minimum limit, not maximum. Itā€™s in place to prevent silly, uninformative titles like ā€œHelp!!!ā€ I expect, but 15 characters is too many. You have to artificially inflate perfectly good thread titles. An 8 character minimum would do the job in 99% of cases.

:joy:
Iā€™m so glad you posted this Richard,ā€¦I was already counting characters yesterday and wanted to ask what exactly he meantā€¦but after reading 3 times the penny dropped for me :sweat_smile:ā€¦ but you do have a point @Goffik
Greetings,Rogier

True. Maybe the limit was to prevent uninformative titles like Please Help!

1 Like

Iā€™m so glad you donā€™t work for Baywatchā€¦

:grimacing: :joy:

3 Likes

Me tooā€¦ as I canā€™t swimā€¦ the oneā€™s needing rescued would be rescuing me :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh my, thatā€™s something, I donā€™t hear that often, but itā€™s a good thing you donā€™t live in the Netherlands / waterlandā€¦although there are more and more (on radio)people here for various reasons who canā€™t swim eitherā€¦ ā€¦ well a career as a lifeguard is not in it,ā€¦nice and safe continue with a musical career then :sunglasses:

1 Like

OK, so now that we know the OP used rather imprecise language, what is the answer? Why such a high character count as a requirement? Song titles tend to be concise. Here are some titles that I had to manipulate to get them across the 15 character requirement:

EDIT: Letā€™s be honest, itā€™s kind of a lame argument to force such a high character count. ā€œHelpā€ is not allowed, but the same text string can be manipulated (as I did with some of my titles) by adding dashes, asterisks or other extra characters. Itā€™s an unnecessary tripwire and an arbitrary rule. If it stays Iā€™ll live, if it changes I will live happily ever after. LOL

2 Likes

help
Well if you would like to cover this song without wanting to add a fuss of characters and extras
then you are not happy the pappieā€¦
Greetingsā€¦

1 Like

@roger_holland yes, but they would be missing a character unless they were doing a cover of help rather than help! :wink:

1 Like

Count these characters ā€¦

The Beatles - Help!

My cover of Help!

I am not against lowering the count. I have never encountered it myself when creating a topic. Maybe I like to write substantial titles. I had forgotten of its existence.
But Iā€™m also wondering how and why you would ever not want or need 15 or more.

1 Like

As Richard showed, if you need to pad out a songā€™s title, instead of adding asterisks or dashes, inlcude the artistā€™s name. I like descriptive thread titles. They often (not always) save me having to read a thread to find out what the OP actually wants.

I think what Clint meant is if you come up with your own song or you noodle and want to give it a brief title like Kaboom! or whatever you would need to put in something extra to get to 15 minimum characters.

I donā€™t have an opinion on this one to be honest, I can live with or without it :wink:

The green pill or the red pill.

Suck it and see.

:wink:

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy:
There is little that interests me less,ā€¦but Iā€™ve already laughed quite a lot in this thread so it was worth it to me,ā€¦and oh yeah, I havenā€™t taken pills for a few years now, and Iā€™ll keep it that way just like thatā€¦ :smile:ā€¦
Iā€™m guessingā€¦ is going to winā€¦

1 Like

@Richard_close2u Iā€™d lean to reducing the limit, Richard, even though it is not a limit I can recall impacting me (being notoriously verbose, in title and body).

Every now and then I have wanted to post a reply that was too short, albeit more than a single emoji, but still not long enough, a couple of four letter words not being sufficient ā€¦ no not those four letter words :laughing:

1 Like