Anyone in for a beginner songwriting challenge?

Dear Community,

thereā€™s so much enthusiasm around and so many of you have talents in one or the other fieldā€¦
and Justin has often stated in his lessons that meeting other players, jamming together or co-writing songs is a great addition to practicing on your own.

I have two friends locally I could meet (but still a bit away), but somehow we never make it, or when I meet one of them, we spend nearly all of the time with our families and nearly donā€™t get to playing the guitar together!

I have seen quite a few cooperations here with great results! But how do you find each other?
Except for Lievenā€™s thread about co-writing a song (for which Iā€™m not up to the level, unfortunately), I havenā€™t seen threads with a request for cooperation.

I would really like to change that!
Iā€™ve had the feeling that a lot of us would like to write a song, and have ideas and even bits here and there, but something still holds everyone back.
At least thatā€™s the case for me.
Iā€™ve got lots of pieces of music, and subjects and some lyrics, but could not finish one song yet.
Except for a few instrumental ā€œalmost readyā€ or mini songs.

Iā€™d be happy about any collaboration ideas you got!
Iā€™ve got a few ot them, but the first Iā€™d like to drop is based on Justinā€™s suggestion in here:

This was exactly the idea I had as a kid! I was a huge Beatles fan and as I wanted to write a song but didnā€™t know how! I thought myself very clever to exchange the lyrics from an already existing song first, then, in a second step exchange the music so you couldnā€™t recognize the originating song anymore.
I wonder how many people already had the same idea and actually even did that?

Another video on the subject

Back to the cooperation.

How about - anyone who likes the idea and wants to join in -

1. proposing a great song (maybe with a rather not too complicated rhythm?)
  2. then having a vote for a song to choose (among the many :grinning: )
  3. everyone works on the same song, starting the lyrics and music echange. EIther people alone, or we build groups of 2 (or more), some people are more comfortable with lyrics, the other maybe more creative with the musicā€¦

Iā€™m not so much after a competition, but just gaining experience, hopefully learning something about songwriting and cooperation in music along the way.
And maybe, there could be additional rules set, like o topic for example. Or a set of chords or a maximum number of 3 chords for example.
Because, often limitations make it easier to start something. Or we could have a free-form category and the other that want to stick to the rules.

Is that a doable idea? Would someone be interested?
Of course, weā€™re not forced to all work on the same song, but I think it could be fun! Some could be very close to the original, or make fun of it, others could have gone completely elsewhereā€¦
And if you have any ideas on how to make the thing better or more practical, itā€™s very welcome.
This is just a draft.

Best regards,
Dominique

5 Likes

Hehe, looks like Domi has been bitten by the Community bugā€¦ Congratulations! :smiley:

Back on the old Forum Justin used to host monthly ā€˜song competitionsā€™, occasionally themed. They were more good fun than anything else, but a lot of work for the team.
You learn a lot from collaborating with others and have taken the first step with your post. Even if there is little demand for a ā€˜challengeā€™ Iā€™d be surprised if there wasnā€™t anyone up for helping out with lyrics or music on any project you fancy tackling.
Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m embroiled in another ā€˜family & friendsā€™ project Iā€™m putting together, but Iā€™m sure someone else will bite. Also, donā€™t be afraid to message folk directly. The worst they can do is politely decline :laughing:
Your Beatles anecdote reminds me of this one I did along similar lines :smiley:
If you are bored, Richard curated a very long post of an ā€˜accidentalā€™ collaboration on the old forum and posted it here :rofl:
Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

There used to be a thread on the old forum for people to reach out and invite others to collaborate on a project. I have had a quick dig around and donā€™t seem to be able to find it here, in this relatively ā€œnewā€ house. The collaborations recording Category certainly still exists but to the obe to offer invitations, which used to encompass what you suggest.

Maybe @Richard_close2u is aware of its location or perhaps its demise. :thinking:

1 Like

Dominique, I love this idea! I canā€™t commit to anything right now - my plate is a bit full, and the holidays are coming (which in my beginner guitar life means trying to learn a couple Christmas songs). One thought might be to continue refining your already-well-thought-out ideas, and begin collaborating after the first of the year. I think I could commit to that! And if you do get this going sooner, Iā€™ll still consider checking in after the new year.

1 Like

Letā€™s just do it, I am game Dominique I have time on my hands for anything musical so Iā€™ll help no probs cheers HEC :guitar:

2 Likes

Hi Dom,

Great idea and I look forward to seeing what comes out of it. Iā€™ve thought about some type of collaboration a few times either a cover or original but will probably wait until I have a better skill level.

Iā€™ll be watching your progress with interest, good luck :+1:

1 Like

not sure how this would workā€¦as in, online, I guess.
sounds like a great idea in concept though, I would love to join in. I have written maybe 4 or 5 bars of a song, though I wrote it as I went along, I think it sounds good, but I cant play it :rofl:. pretty silly of me. maybe someone who is good at fingerstyle would be able to tell me if I have made somethign worth while, or just a dogs breakfast :dog2: :grin:

1 Like

Domi, your post has been like a thorn in my heart, since you put it out there. I kept on thinking, I would like to so much, but I canā€™t and shouldnā€™t.

In fact, there are many reasons why I shouldnā€™t. I have not even finished Grade 2 yet and am at the moment on a mission to fight old bad habits. My only recording equipment is my phone, and I donā€™t even have a DAW, the real Guitarapro or any other computer than an old Linux laptop. I do have the mobile version of Guitar Pro though.

There are so many reasons why I shouldnā€™t and why it would be wise not to. But then. Maybe this is one of these ā€œjump over your own shadowā€ situationsā€¦

Thus: I am all in for such collaboration projects, if you will have me.

What I can offer is love for music, very good listening skills and a relatively good ear for music, imagination, creativity, curiosity and inquisitiveness. I can aso offer a good feeling for lyrics and hopefully usable language skills (acceptable English (I hope), German (mother tongue) e.g.). Oh, and I can offer completed lyrics for two songs, on which I havenā€™t even started working yet otherwiseā€¦ and two more song ideas :bulb:

3 Likes

I have not even finished grade 1, just dive, thats what Iā€™m doing. wing it!

1 Like

I love your attitude :sun_with_face: You are right, letā€™s go for it. Nothing to lose, only to learn and win :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Meet the newly edited and rebranded Meeting Place sub-section:

4 Likes

Hi Dominique, Hec here well it looks like we have some interested people here so I think you and I should just go for this, how do you feel we should approach the subject and get it off the ground, I will support you as much as I can, the only day I do get a bit busy is fridays I volunteer to teach in a local community centre playing learning music fixing guitars etc but apart from that I have lots of time on my hands cheers Hec

1 Like

Cheers Richard and Toby ill wait until I hear from Dominique, cheers

1 Like

Hi all.

Fantastic - it is great that people want to make music together.
There are lots of interested people.

Two things.

I have moved this to the newly rebranded sub-section of the Community.

I suggest that once you have some interest, you begin to communicate via direct message between yourselves.

2 Likes

dont think i have done that but Iā€™m sure ill learn thanks again cheers Hec

Itā€™s easy, Hec :slightly_smiling_face:

Click your profile icon = in your case the D in the light orange background colour circle.

Then click for example the bell, but clicking most any symbol will do.

Next click the envelope. Next you will be shown a view where this envelope is and highlighted in red-orange

Click this envelope and you will be shown a view similar to below screenshot. Here you can add the recipients of your message, the subject, write your message, add links and pictures etc. and send it.

2 Likes

Hello again, everyone!

Thanks a lot for your interest! :heart:

I thought that Iā€™d keep the thread slim and have a few clear posts, while still encouraging you to detail your own ideas.
Well - because I thought to perform the actual challenge in this thread.
But after all, itā€™s probably best to discuss everything just like in usual threads here and when we are a group agreeing in what we want to do, start a new, slim and clear thread with the proceeding of the challenge with not so much discussion, because we will have discussed everything in here already.

I would like to reply to everyone one by one here, but I have to leave the house now and will - later!

All the best to you,
Dominique

Dear Richard,

I have send you a private message, after you told us to mainly communicate in private messages along the way, while I still tought the challenge would be proceeded in this thread, but now have changed my mind:

1. have some discussion how this challenge will look like in here
    ( I have one ready but maybe there will be inputs of others)

2. start a new thread with the agreed proceedings that will be more clear and have less discussion.

Best regards,
Dominique

Thank you, Nicole, I appreciate your help its not easy getting old. :+1:

Not at all. Iā€™ll send you a DM as a test when Iā€™m home :slightly_smiling_face:

Such small technical barriers are nothing compared to the fun this can probably be :slightly_smiling_face: