DigiTech Trio+ Band Creator & Looper

Yep when Iā€™ve just used the looper I play a simple bass on the low strings, some open or barre chords and then either triads or even partial picked chords work wellā€¦but you do need to keep it quite clean. Itā€™ll sound nothing like the stuff you can do on multi loopers BUT then again maybe that doesnā€™t matter as most us are just performing for ourselves and itā€™ll probably sound good enough.

He makes it look very easy but I think thereā€™s a lot more to what heā€™s doing than meets the eye. If he got the loops wrong the whole thing would collapse.

So I succumbed to GAS, I saw a used Trio Plus for not too bad a price, they seem very expensive in the US compared to the price I saw on Thomann, not sure why. It arrived today and I have played around with it a little. It was fun, and able to get some rough backing tracks for the songs I was playing. I have spent time reading the threads here and watching videos, which has been incredibly useful.
I am hoping my skills grow into getting lots of use out of it, I clearly recognize that itā€™s capabilities are way above mine, but it should be happy to jam with me without getting fed up.

3 Likes

If anyone in the US is looking for one, I will probably sell mine soon.

@Jamolay
Hi Joshua. Iā€™d be interested to know why you no longer want your Trio+.

That is a good and poignant question!

First, it has nothing to do with the Trio, great device.

Not to hijack this thread I will post a new one.

1 Like

I want to connect my Trio+ to three different amps. I am looking for a switch that will allow the output of the Trio+ to be sent selectively to an amp so I do not have to reroute cables every time I wish to use a different amp/guitar combo.
What is the proper terminology for such a switch? All my searches bring up switches for speaker cabs that do not appear to be able to do the simple switching I am looking for. Ideas?

You need an ā€œABC Switchā€. These are not that common. More common are ā€œABā€ (or ā€œABYā€) switches.

Hereā€™s one example of an ABC switch:

Cheers,

Keith

Thaks, Keith. That is exactly what I am looking for. :grinning:

Here are a couple of videos (thanks James @Socio) that others may find interesting. They cover using a mic with the Trio+

1 Like

Haha, Iā€™d have to buy a mic first :laughing:
Further to your Iā€™m a Believer post, a couple of thoughts.

• You mentioned not having a pickup on your acoustic to play rhythm on the looper. Why not plug in your electric on a clean setting? Or indeed with a bit of distortion other fx if you have any pedals. It just forms the backing track and the contrast makes it sound better in my opinion.

• I presume Iā€™m not the only one, but I used to have to really concentrate to keep the same tempo from one loop to the next. Now if Iā€™m doing a song with multiple parts, i find the bpm I want the song to play at on a metronome website and just play along to that for all parts.

• in your song, if you record the the loops as 1) First half of the verse 2) 2nd half of verse 3) Chorus, you should still have a couple of slots free which you could re-record the 1st half of the verse which would allow you to pre-record the solo on, allowing you to strum along and pull funny faces on the live performance. :smiley:

Youā€™re probably aware of most of this, but some of it might be helpful to others just starting out, or contemplating purchasing this bit of kit.

1 Like

I joined one of the Facebook groups, it is mostly a place where people upload their TSLD (Trio) files. One of the members had put together a quick reference guide, which seems useful to me. It may make it easier than randomly going though all the genres and styles. Attribution of the author is under the title.

2 Likes

Quick question for all you Trio+ aficionados out there:
Does anyone know of a way (or workaround) to use the footswitch to switch from one track (not songpart) to the next? I had a quick look but didnā€™t find anything :frowning_with_open_mouth:

Brian

Did not think so but had a quick review of the manual. Seems you can only select a new track/song by pressing the Song button and turning the dial. Would be a nice feature.
In fact I seem to recall Jason at past OMs, doing some twiddling between songs, which I suspect was queuing up the next BT.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Cheers for having a look Toby. I didnā€™t think so either. Itā€™s a pity :frowning_with_open_mouth:
I occasionally run out of song part slots and it would be handy to just switch up to the next song to continue. Ah wellā€¦

1 Like

The Trio+ has so much promise, but it seems to be a bit hampered by the controls, which do not seem to be very well set up for live use.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

You may need to rethink how your record parts. There have been times I have hit similar issues, so have recorded verse/link/chorus as one part to reduce the number required. Look for repeated section links and do them as a single unit. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Haha, I learned that at a very early stage :roll_eyes:
Iā€™m running into problems meddlinā€™ with a medley :rofl:

1 Like

FYI, Still selling my Trio+ btw, ā‚¬175 + shipping (from Belgium) for JG Community members.
Very cool piece of kit but it sees no action since iā€™m busy with other things (bands, solo, festival and of course; JustinGuitar :D)

3 Likes

This is a good price for a really useful piece of kit, esp. for the beginner and intermediate guitar enthusiast :smiley:
I think itā€™s because it has so much potential folk try to push the boundaries and use it for eg live performances.