Fitzcarraldo (cover)

My piano player finally returned from Marrakesh and provided me with some samples yesterday.
Yay! :smiley:
This was another fun family and friends project.
The song, Fitzcarraldo, is by the Frames, the video clips lifted from the film by the same name.
My good friend Chris on guitars and violin, my son Tor on drums and bass, my nephew Niels (in Dublin) on piano and me on vocal duties as well as production.

Big shout out of thanks to @Blobbyblob who shared his version in AVOYP last month and inspired me to have a go. Check out his latest original while youā€™re at it
Love it when you inspire/are inspired by others to have a go at something you wouldnā€™t have otherwise :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Absolutely love it. Superb arrangement and interpretation. Great individual contributions and the final result was worth every second of listening.

Thank you

1 Like

I wonā€™t ask any questions about the ā€œsamplesā€ :wink: Donā€™t know the song or film but it was a great production all round.

1 Like

Hi Brian,ā€¦and i applaud the whole band, :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:

Special song and performance with moments of goose bumps :sunglasses:ā€¦

And you were pre-sorting in an earlier topic that you do not think a video of yourself playing is necessary :roll_eyes: ā€¦ is certainly not necessary :smile:ā€¦, but some snapshots of the other band members in action would be nice :smiley:,ā€¦especially weird faces pictures :smile:
Give everyone a pat on the head and thank them on my behalf,ā€¦ :clap:
Greetings,ā€¦

1 Like

Cheers, Dom (@Blobbyblob)
as I said, youā€™se wuz da muse :wink:

Haha, Cheers Trevor, @skinnyt
I cannot believe I wrote that without contemplating the interpretationsā€¦ :roll_eyes: :rofl:
Itā€™s either Freud channeling, or me having given up all chemicals a good while ago :wink:

@roger_holland
Thank you kindly, Sir :smiley:
ā€˜Foreshadowingā€™ is the requisite bon mot.
Iā€™m tempted to try passing myself off as the mesmerising lead role in a peroxide wig, with all my band mates as native support extras, but Iā€™m not sure that would be believable nor pc :thinking:
I do allow Chris to share the periphery of my spotlight at the occasional open mic. I donā€™t want any of them to start getting ideas above their station.
I shall let them know they were noticed :wink:

1 Like

Excellent job on this by everyone. Great production as well.

1 Like

Cheers for the listen and thumbs up, Mark :slightly_smiling_face:

Well Brian, as ever, I donā€™t know the song or the band and have never heard of the film.
However, I have to say that was a terrific production. Youā€™ve created a super band and with this collaboration youā€™ve really produced an excellent version of the song.
I really enjoyed that. So much so I listened twice! Iā€™m delighted you and your crew survived and swam to safety when the riverboat went over the rapids.

Well done to you, Tor, Niels and Chris.

1 Like

You always deliver Brian. Fabulous production, superb contributions from everyone and it all came together beautifully! I echo everything thatā€™s already been said. Huge thumbs up :+1: from me!

1 Like

:laughing:

:roll_eyes:ā€¦ :joy:

Good Day,ā€¦ :grinning:

1 Like

@sairfingers Twice!?! Youā€™re a glutton for punishment :rofl:
Naw, thanks mate. Itā€™s a great song by a fab artist.
@adi_mrok covered one of his songs Falling slowly a while back. Heā€™s a pillar of the Irish music scene, busking in Dublin since 13. (He was ā€˜Outspanā€™ in the film, The Commitments)
Hereā€™s his band playing the original :smiley:
It was a German film, 40 years ago, directed by Werner Herzog, starring an ā€˜intenseā€™ Klaus Kinsky (diagnosed psychopath). Evidently there were multiple genuine murder threats during the making of the film :roll_eyes:
Iā€™ a dream to work with :angel:

@Eddie_09 Cheers man. Much appreciated
Some say Iā€™m all thumbs, but the more the better, I reckon :wink:

2 Likes

I think I can always cut and paste @sairfingersā€™s comment of ā€œnever heard of it before, butā€¦ā€

Wow.

This is a seriously good production. Great playing from everyone involved, and the singing was so well done. The production and vocal layering was next level. Would have to be one of the best audio-production AVOYPs Iā€™ve listened to recently.

1 Like

Brian thanks for the shout out, although I do feel like put on a stand here to comment on your piece in return haha :laughing: sounded really good, very different version to @Blobbyblob and as you know I am sucker for Chrisā€™s violin arrangement so you had me there :laughing: I do feel however that perhaps second solo could have been a guitar solo rather than having violin twice? Just a personal non significant opinion, keep doing what you doing Family and friends of BL!

2 Likes

@jkahn Much appreciated, mate :smiley:
Itā€™s funny the way we often look at others, in relation to how we see ourselves. Youā€™ve been very open about your struggle to sing the way you would like, so Iā€™m not surprised you pick out the vocals.
Iā€™m on the other side of that coin, with a mediocre voice (in a good sense) thatā€™s able to carry a tune. I look in admiration at all the fingerpicking, fancy chords/embellishments and esp. rhythm styles others employ and sighā€¦
A small part of me felt odd about sharing a song on a guitar site, where I donā€™t play guitar :laughing:
For me this journey is about music and interacting with others, as well as playing guitar. So on that front, 2 out of 3 ainā€™t bad :wink:
(I really enjoyed spending a little more time working on what harmonies might work and where)
Once again, cheers for the generous comment

@adi_mrok Youā€™re a mean tease, man :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You know full well I wouldnā€™t tag an individual for a pat on my back (I need much more than that! :rofl:)
I usually tag folks to bring something to their attention that they may have missed. In this case, I was ā€˜promotingā€™ you. Similarly I tagged Dom, who you then promptly visited and left nice feedback for.
Iā€™ll let my axeman know to mix it up next time :wink:

2 Likes

Superb production there Brian! Should all be proud of that one.

1 Like

That was great, Brian. The accompaniment of your band is always good. And I think your vocal arrangement, the various layers and parts was excellent.

1 Like

This was a brilliant production! I liked the way of combining music and film scenes, it gives a very harmonius impression. Instruments and your voice are very consistent and match excellent. I watched it several times and couldnā€™t decide whether the goosebumps came from your production or from seeing this egomaniac and psychopath Kinski :thinking:. Hm, I think it was the formerā€¦ :wink:
Please tell your band, that this was really inspiring and I hope, it will be continued.
A ā€œmaking ofā€ from the tecnical side would be interesting too. How do you get your ideas? Is that happening by accident, do the ideas just pop up in your brain or is there a story behind?

1 Like

@twistor59 Cheers Phil, much appreciated.
Theyā€™re a good bunch, but even better- they have to put up with me as they are friends & family :laughing:

@DavidP Thanks David. I think youā€™ve commentated on every collaboration theyā€™ve been involved in. The vocals were fun too :smiley:

@Helen0609 Vielen Dank! :smiley:
I wish I could provide an extraordinary ā€˜inspirationā€™ story, but Iā€™m afraid itā€™s as simple as the short description above. Dom had covered this song recently. I know the some of the bandā€™s music from when I lived in Dublin and I had been feeling a bit nostalgic.
My good friend Chris is always pushing me to start another project and as he enjoys the fiddle I suggested this one.
The process is usually the same. I look up/find the chords; create a simple backing track with my Trio+ (drum, bass, guitar) and sing some rough vocals on top. I send that to whoever feels like joining in and simply replace the Trio track in Reaper with whatever they send me. I can be a bit ruthless/clueless at times with cutting, pasting and deleting. I then add vocals and do some basic mixing (only volume, reverb and panning).
The video was pretty easy on this one as there were a number of clips on YT, especially trailers, which give you a kind of mini-story feel. I thought the scene of Kinki with the gramophone worked beautifully with Chrisā€™ violin :smiley:
Glad you enjoyed it though.
Alles gute toi toi toi

1 Like

Great production in all aspects. Looks & sounds professional. Glad your piano player is back. You all have formed an incredible band.

1 Like

Awww, Thanks Pam :smiley:
Glad to see you checking in.
Itā€™s been a while since you gave us a song.
Are you cooking up anything tasty these days? :wink: