Guitar Challenge (Blues Study Pieces) - Solo Blues Guitar (Justin Sandercoe)

@Socio James, the team are aware. It is on the backlog to create a legacy area in the Playground that will provide access to videos like these on YouTube. Certainly won’t get attention this year. Thanks again for the share.

1 Like

@DavidP
Thanks for the update, David. Well until then if I’ve inspired anyone else to give this solo blues arrangement a go, which I would highly recommend, the links to the YouTube lesson videos are there to follow. And if they have the beginners course book, the tab can be found in the bonus section along with recordings of Justin playing the piece at the various tempos to accompany.

1 Like

@DavidP
I just noticed this is the first piece in the Solo Blues Guitar Challenge Thread created by @Richard_close2u. Never realised I’d actually participated in one of the challenges :joy: I’m planning on revisiting this piece and recording an update video in the next few weeks once I’ve got a few other things off my to do list. Is it best to post the update video here and then include a link in the guitar challenge post?

[ mod edit - topics now merged with @Socio’s permission ]

1 Like

James, what I’m hearing is sounding pretty good, but have to agree with tempo/timing issues mentioned above. Get that sorted out and this blues will go from good to awesome.

1 Like

@oldhead49

Thanks for the listen and feedback, Dave. It’s much appreciated. Yeah the transitions with the triplets were messing with my rhythm. I was finding it rather difficult to keep my foot tapping and inner metronome clicking during the transitions. That’s something that I only discovered from trying out this piece and continuing to work on it with the intention of revisiting the piece to mark my learning progress.

Here’s the Walkin Easy Blues piece (thanks to @Socio for suggesting I post it here!). I know my fretting hand position is not good, but knowing that hasn’t yet convinced me to relearn the technique lol. Apart from that I’m reasonably happy with my playing here except for a couple of clunkyish notes that sound out. I’d love to hear any other input, though, to take into account as I work on the next pieces :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Looking and sounding good Mari, consistent tempo and tone throughout. I am still fumbling in a couple of places on this one but getting there and the F# in the Steady Thumb Blues is still a challenge (hit and miss). When I get Gospel Slides track under my fingers (WIP) I’ll likely post all three, so could be a while. The video looks very slick by the way :+1:
Thanks for sharing.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

That was great Mari, enjoyed it.

1 Like

Great videoMari, looking good :clap: :clap: :sunglasses:
And i like the playing to :clap: :sunglasses:,.and you have already analyzed yourself… :sunglasses:
Nice, this keeps me motivated to pick up some of the blues studies :smiley:
Greetings,…

1 Like

You really got a hang of video editing skills quickly Mari it looked really good on top of fantastic playing skill, well done!

1 Like

@Mari63
Enjoyed watching you work smoothly through the study, Mari, sounded good.

Hate to dash your hopes but I’ll not be posting myself playing that soon.

When looking at that it seemed like it should be fairly straightforward. Needless to say, how it seemed and how it actually was, was two different things. Surprinsgly difficult (for me) to keep the bass notes smooth and the high strings played consistently. Practce Practice Practice

You did well and am sure you can clean up the one or two rough edges, if you have the desire to be more highly polished.

Bravo, and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

If you have just visited this Topic and started with Mari’s recording then take a look at the Topic OP (Original Post) and you’ll find links to all the replies posted with a recording

Thanks Toby. That’s the only one I’ve really worked on so far, got distracted with other things. I did buy the course though and I do like the pieces so I’ll be getting back to them now.

1 Like

Thanks Rogier. I even managed a bit of a smile at the end lol.

1 Like

Thanks Adrian. I spent a lot of time figuring out the video editing in the last 2 days. Usually that would be time I would be unhappy to trade for guitar practice time, but I actually enjoyed learning the basics of video editing. A couple more things I want to learn, but over time. I’d rather return my focus to playing guitar!

1 Like

Thanks David. I am currently working on a piece that I thought should be not too difficult, but it’s turned out to be quite difficult after all. Going back and forth between that one and other things I figure I’ll get it eventually :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nice! Good rhythm and clean played. Looking forward to the next piece :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you @Snah , Posting this one reminded me to get back to learning the next ones!

That was very enjoyable Mari. I liked the groove it had to it. It skipped along nicely.

1 Like

Thanks Stefan. I started working on another one and then I got distracted … lol