Guitar Challenge (Blues Study Pieces) - Solo Blues Guitar (Justin Sandercoe)

I really enjoyed that James. It was nice and bluesy. Had a sweet groove to it.

1 Like

@SgtColon
Thanks for the listen and feedback Stefan :smiley: I do enjoy learning to play the blues material, there is just something about it.

Nice vid man and really great tone. You really got the walk-downs down :slight_smile:
I also recently started Justin’ s Solo Blues lessons (the online product), they’re super catchy and can recommend!

1 Like

@Bill_Spencer
Thanks for the taking the time to listen and provide feedback Bill. That’s very much appreciated mate. That Blues Solo Course does look really good. I’ll definitely be taking that course now I’ve got the blues in me.

That was great James really coming together well. I’ve been back over the updated courses and had a dabble with the extra lessons like this. Just wish they were around on the old BC. Certainly a good challenge and you’ve acquitted yourself well. I’ve actually just dusted down the Solo Blues Course and spent a couple of hours on the first track today. Its immense fun playing these kind of tracks. Good luck with your consolidation, I reckon you’ll be fine sir !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Sounds great, James, nice and bluesy! Have you thought about playing with a metronome to make sure you’re staying right on the beat? Justin emphasizes getting stuck into the beat in the one I’m working on, so I’ve been playing it with him, and then with the metronome in the Practice Assistant.

1 Like

James,
That came across really well and well done! You certainly know this one… Yet as I listen, there is a hint of hesitation here and there. Not sure that is a good way to describe it. Maybe call it unevenness? To my ears it could flow just a bit smoother. You know the fix here, more practice and you would own this thing all the way around! Though, if you are tired of it… then move on as you do have this down pretty well.

Keep rock’n and all the best in your guitar journeys!
LB

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Thanks for the listen and feedback Toby. This was the precursor to the solo blues course. I’ve just purchased that course this week. Looking forward to starting it as I found it to be great fun playing this one. Never thought I’d get into the blues until I started Justin’s beginners course, now it’s a genre I’m enjoying exploring further.

@Mari63
Thanks for the listen and feedback Mari. It’s much appreciated. I’ve been practicing with the metronome at the slow tempo and along with the Justin’s slow tempo recording on the CD and was finding it on locking in on the beats. However, when I’m playing without the metronome and unaccompanied I’m struggling with keeping the foot tapping to maintain my inner metronome during the transitions with the triplets. So the metronome is back out to work and I have went back to basics to try and overcome that issue. I’m thinking I might also just listen a few times to Justin’s track tapping along with my foot.

@LBro
Thanks for the listen and feedback, LB. Yes, there is definitely a bit of hesitation especially when it comes to the triplets. I found it difficult in two fronts. I found the pressure to be greater recording that type of playing compared to a strumming song with the occasional individual note picking. I also found it difficult to maintain my inner metronome between the shuffle riffs and triplets. I’m definitely going to practice this more with a metronome until it becomes automatic and smoother. The good thing is that I don’t have to worry about what notes to play as I’ve got it memorized, I just need focus and work on the rhythm. The plan is to work on getting the slow version nailed before speeding up to achieve the fast version.

1 Like

Hi James,
This is really really hard for many, at least for me…I’ve been trying to record a short lick in Riff for an hour,…but I drive back and forth to and from my phone more than I play ,… every time I fall out of time,…(often also with a metronome I notice when I listen back)…now I’m going to try it without image and record it via the looper, then you hear not the strings recorded immediately and you don’t have to look at me…i give me a week max…
Succes and I look forward to your sequel,
Greetings,…

1 Like

@roger_holland
Thanks Rogier. It’s encouraging to know that I am not alone in experiencing this issue. What drives us on is knowing that overcoming the issues we face make us stronger.

Good luck with your lick n riff and I look forward to hearing it when you are ready.

1 Like

@Socio James, the team are aware. It is on the backlog to create a legacy area in the Playground that will provide access to videos like these on YouTube. Certainly won’t get attention this year. Thanks again for the share.

1 Like

@DavidP
Thanks for the update, David. Well until then if I’ve inspired anyone else to give this solo blues arrangement a go, which I would highly recommend, the links to the YouTube lesson videos are there to follow. And if they have the beginners course book, the tab can be found in the bonus section along with recordings of Justin playing the piece at the various tempos to accompany.

1 Like

@DavidP
I just noticed this is the first piece in the Solo Blues Guitar Challenge Thread created by @Richard_close2u. Never realised I’d actually participated in one of the challenges :joy: I’m planning on revisiting this piece and recording an update video in the next few weeks once I’ve got a few other things off my to do list. Is it best to post the update video here and then include a link in the guitar challenge post?

[ mod edit - topics now merged with @Socio’s permission ]

1 Like

James, what I’m hearing is sounding pretty good, but have to agree with tempo/timing issues mentioned above. Get that sorted out and this blues will go from good to awesome.

1 Like

@oldhead49

Thanks for the listen and feedback, Dave. It’s much appreciated. Yeah the transitions with the triplets were messing with my rhythm. I was finding it rather difficult to keep my foot tapping and inner metronome clicking during the transitions. That’s something that I only discovered from trying out this piece and continuing to work on it with the intention of revisiting the piece to mark my learning progress.

Here’s the Walkin Easy Blues piece (thanks to @Socio for suggesting I post it here!). I know my fretting hand position is not good, but knowing that hasn’t yet convinced me to relearn the technique lol. Apart from that I’m reasonably happy with my playing here except for a couple of clunkyish notes that sound out. I’d love to hear any other input, though, to take into account as I work on the next pieces :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Looking and sounding good Mari, consistent tempo and tone throughout. I am still fumbling in a couple of places on this one but getting there and the F# in the Steady Thumb Blues is still a challenge (hit and miss). When I get Gospel Slides track under my fingers (WIP) I’ll likely post all three, so could be a while. The video looks very slick by the way :+1:
Thanks for sharing.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

That was great Mari, enjoyed it.

1 Like

Great videoMari, looking good :clap: :clap: :sunglasses:
And i like the playing to :clap: :sunglasses:,.and you have already analyzed yourself… :sunglasses:
Nice, this keeps me motivated to pick up some of the blues studies :smiley:
Greetings,…

1 Like

You really got a hang of video editing skills quickly Mari it looked really good on top of fantastic playing skill, well done!

1 Like