Guitartown, USA (a.k.a. Waukesha, WI)

I donā€™t (currently/yet) play electric, but I recently put 2 and 2 together and realized that the reason there is a Les Paul Parkway and guitar statue by the bank in Waukesha is because he was born there :sweat_smile: And since Iā€™m soon to move back to the West Coast, I figured I should go see those sights while I still live half an hour from Waukesha. Itā€™s a small town, so they are 100% emphasizing the one famous person from there - they have murals and guitar sculptures all around town and an actually really awesome exhibit about him at the county museum, which I visited on a rainy day a couple weeks ago. I followed up by going to see the monument at his resting place this past weekend (forgot to take that detour when it was raining last time).

I thought Iā€™d share some photos here since everyone here is so far-flung (and probably not likely to visit Waukesha).

Some of the murals:

There were a bunch of these guitar statues around town. These were some of my favorites:

Among other artifacts, the museum had ā€œThe Logā€ on display - his original, homemade, railroad tie electric guitar.

Many people paid their respects with guitar picks at his memorial:

And some wise words for all of us, in guitar and in life:

22 Likes

Thatā€™s really cool. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Very cool pics!!! Thanks for posting!!!
I knew the Les Paul had invented ā€œThe Logā€ but I didnā€™t know until reading about him recently that he also invented the harmonica holder & the 8 track recorder! He truly was an innovative musician!!!

This is Les Paul playing ā€œSleepwalkā€ just a few years before his deathā€¦ he had crippling arthritis by this point & (although you canā€™t really see it in this video) had lost the use of some of his fingersā€¦ Amazing!!!

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&q=les+paul+sleepwalk&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiBzcusiIiAAxUZKUQIHexWDFkQ0pQJegQICRAB&biw=390&bih=661&dpr=3#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:f3780ba2,vid:tHx_VC2wNkk

Tod

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Hilary, cool pictures!

1 Like

Hello Hilary, and - oh, wow, thatā€™s so cool :star_struck:. I love the guitar sculptures. Great decision to visit this place as long as you live that close :smiley:.
Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:. Now, Iā€™ve learned something new :grinning:.

1 Like

Thatā€™s terrific Hilary, thank you for posting those up. Looks like you had a very british type weather experience for your visit! :rofl:

The sculptures are great, as are the picks on the memorial.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this, Hilary! That looks amazing and they do honour Les Paul very well. Beautiful, impressive art works - awesome! :star_struck: :+1:

2 Likes

Very nice :+1:, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s amazing the physical limitations he overcame to still play! He also broke an arm in a car wreck earlier in his life and had that fracture stabilized in such a way that he could still play (even if he couldnā€™t bend or extend the arm anymore). I have a hard enough time doing simpler things with two functional arms!

His coat-hanger harmonica holder was also on display at the museum, along with some of his other guitars.

@Notter Ha, it was a pretty dreary day, but we really do need the rain! Thereā€™s been a bit of a drought in the Midwest this summer. I definitely would have taken more (and better) photos in dry conditions though.

Great pics! I was born and raised in Waukesha, but none of that stuff was there when I was growing up. I wish Iā€™d known it was there, I was recently up there for a visit and would have sought it out.

BTW, Iā€™m not famous. Yet. :wink:

1 Like

Wow, what a small world! The museum exhibit was pretty cool - definitely worth the $7 the next time youā€™re back for a visit! Thereā€™s also another Les/sound-themed exhibit at Discovery World in Milwaukee proper, which I havenā€™t been to.
When youā€™re famous you can talk to the historical society about adding your own exhibit :wink:

Fantastic murals and sculptures. Funny what you said about ā€œthe one famous personā€ from there. I live in Folsom, CA and we donā€™t really have anyone famous, but everybody knows we have a prison and that Johnny Cash played there. Sooooā€¦ the town has this whole Johnny Cash multi-use trail for pedestrians, cyclists, etc. that runs near the prison.

2 Likes

Yeah, we had July and August weather in May and June, 90s F and no rain. Now itā€™s July and itā€™s raining all the time here in MIchigan and the farmers canā€™t cut the crappy hay that grew when there was no rain!

Send us some rain! We got a little bit on Saturday in pockets, but not much. This week itā€™s 80s-90s and dry, some wildfire smoke from Canada as well (hoping that doesnā€™t get too bad - I donā€™t have AC, so if the AQI gets so bad that I canā€™t open the windows at night, itā€™s going to get unbearably hot inside the house).

Hi there.

Those are amazing pictures you shared. I was born in Milwaukee but havenā€™t been there in more than 20 years so never saw that exhibit. I moved away to the west at a few days older than 16 and never looked back.

Weā€™re glad to have you on Justin guitar. Justinā€™s teaching method is amazing and will help you succeed in all of your goals. I recommend to take it slowly, meaning learn timing and the basics before rushing into the specifics of guitar mastery. Learn the fretboard and explore beyond the first 4 frets. I suggest to record yourself and your progress even if you keep it private just to track progress. Check out our community videos and open mics. I upload songs here all the Tom for feed and the community is always supportive.

Best of luck

Jeff
San Diego CA

1 Like

Awesome photos! My favorite was the girls rule statue.

1 Like