Hi I'm Sara, a South African now in Japan!

Hi, my name’s Sara.
I’m South African but I currently live in Japan.

I’ve had a guitar floating around my room for a couple years now but I still don’t play well. I thought I’d come on here to ask around for some advice and see what others are chatting about.

I’m quite shy and I’m finding it difficult to find a practice buddy. It also doesn’t help that I don’t really speak the local language. Does anyone have tips on how to find someone to play with?

4 Likes

Welcome to the community Sara.

The suggestion, as always, is to start at the beginning of Justin’s Beginner Course which is widely regarded as one of the best guitar learning resources out there. And the great news is it’s all free:

There is also an optional paid-for app that you can use which gives you loads of play-along songs, which will help if you can’t find a guitar buddy.

Finding a guitar buddy can be quite hard, especially in a foreign country, but there are a couple of other people here in japan (although it’s a big country so you might not be close to each other).

Cheers,

Keith

5 Likes

Also, I don’t know if you are working over there, but when I was working in Tokyo in 2019, the company I was working for had a lot of social clubs, including a jam group.

They used to rent out a rehearsal room in Shibuya once a month for a jam session.

It might be worth exploring whether your company has such a thing.

Cheers,

Keith

5 Likes

Hello,

I’d like a jam buddy as well. I’m in Kumamoto, 3 driving hours from Nick, I’m guessing. I still call myself a beginner, but in English-teaching terms, I’d say I’m a false beginner. I can drive wherever if that works out. :red_car::dash: Let’s try to coordinate.

3 Likes

Hello Sara, and a warm welcome to the community :hugs:.
You‘ve found the perfect place to put your guitar journey to the next level. Justin’s course is super structured. He takes you by the hand and leads you forward - step by step :blush:. And if you have any questions, need some advice or just some motivational words - stick to this community. Very friendly and helpful people here :smiley:.
I wish you lots of fun with your six-string-friend and playing with your jam buddy :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

Hello Sara, a warm welcome to the community.
Coming to JustinGuitar, following the unsurpassed beginner course lessons will help you learn and finding a home here in the community here will only support and encourage that.
I can’t help you with jam buddies but I can with most everything else - just ask if you need anything.
Cheers
Richard :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Sara and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

I hope you find a jam buddy but following along with Justin’s course will set you in good stead for getting your playing to where you’d like it to be.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I currently live up North in Sendai so it looks like we are on different sides on the country… :see_no_evil:

Have you ever been up to Tohoku before?

1 Like

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the idea. :cherry_blossom:

I’m pretty sure my company doesn’t offer much in the way of social hangs. Do you know about any other groups that might?

I live in Sendai so it’s a bit out the way.

Thanks again for all your help. :smile:

1 Like

Hi Sara!

Yes, I drove to Sapporo (in the middle of winter) for the Snow Festival. I charged my car in Sendai twice on that trip.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. Playing with others really helped me develop as a musician. I was fortunate there was a music club within driving distance (45 minutes) from where I lived. Perhaps there is a community group nearby? Or a ukulele group?

2 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t.

Cheers,

Keith

Welcome Sara. Majik gives good advice in his first post. Follow Justins course and enjoy.

1 Like

Hi Sara,
I’m Nick, a Brit living in Kagoshima. I’ve been in Japan for over 25 years now and have played with various people here. In truth, the easiest people to play with are English speakers, so although I do play with Japanese people, it doesn’t always go smoothly.
A few ideas are - depending on what you’re doing here (teaching in schools, universities or working in a company) you could check out whether there are clubs or groups playing where you work. If that’s not an option, try to find out if there are any ‘live houses’ around where you live. You may find that there are but they may be hidden away if you’re living in a smaller Japanese city / town. Also, try going to a local music store as they sometimes have notice boards with adverts looking for musicians. If there’s nothing on there that suits you, you could place your own advert (though it might be good to get a Japanese proficient person to write it for you if you can).
My experience is that there is a lot of stuff going on in Japan but you have to make it known that you’re looking, as generally, playing partners don’t come looking for you.
Lastly, if you’re not worried about actually being in the same room as someone else, then this website is great and you will learn a lot from it.
Best of luck,
Nick

3 Likes

No prob. Thanks again.

1 Like

That’s one hell of a road trip. Sendai is a quiet city but the snow festival is amazing.

1 Like

Hi Nick,
Thank you for taking the time to help out. Sounds like some great advice.
I will check around the local stores and see if I can find any live houses. :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Hi Sara, welcome to the community. Good to have you here.
I wish you luck finding someone to jam with.

1 Like

Hi Sara,
I wish you a lot of fun,and a long time of guitar learning :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome, Sara! (that’s a fun username you have, btw :smile:). I hope you are able to find a jam buddy there. And I absolutely mirror @Majik’s first reply about following Justin’s course from the beginning - it is absolutely fantastic. Don’t hesitate to reach out for help or with any questions you have!