In 2023 we mourn the death & celebrate the life of

Guitarist Tim Bachman, one of the founders of the Canadian rock band Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO), has passed away at the age of 71ā€¦

2 Likes

RIP Tim. Heā€™ll be up in Rock and Roll heaven Takinā€™ Care Of Business.

3 Likes

Another great Canadian legend is gone. :cry:

ā€œMore than any other singer-songwriter, Gordon Lightfoot personified Canada. His robust songs about winter nights, morning rain, being bound for Alberta and sailing on Ontarioā€™s Georgian Bay came closest to expressing for many Canadians the essence of life in the Great White North. Historical epics stood alongside romantic ballads."

7 Likes

The very embodiment of a troubadour.

1 Like

RIP Gordon a true Canadian treasure

1 Like

RIP Gordon, another treasure of a singer gone to the happy hunting ground :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

We lost a great Canadian Treasue yesterday. Heā€™s not lost, his music lives on.

RIP

5 Likes

For all you fellow 12-string players, Lightfootā€™s guitar is a Gibson B-45 12, which heā€™s playing in this concert video of one of his songs we all know by heart.

2 Likes

I donā€™t like these amalgamated dead artist threads. This tosses Gordon Lightfoot in with a Pointer Sister. Nothing wrong with either artist, itā€™s just that each deserves their own thread. Please reconsider this approach, I find it highly disrespectful.

Iā€™m going to go away now and mourn Gordon Lightfoot. What a blessing his stories and music have been.

1 Like

Clint, totally agree but I can see how this would be difficult to manage. Gordon was special.

Thereā€™s a great Gordon Lightfoot documentary that came to a couple years ago called ā€œIf you could read my mindā€. Worth watching if you havenā€™t and worth watching again if you have seen it, Iā€™ll be watching it tonight.

A couple bits of trivia I remember from the doc.:

Gordon was not only a great songwriter but he put all his music to paper himself. From what I understand not common in the biz.

In the 60s and 70s he threw the best parties in Canada :canada:. The Stones, Dylan, The Band, Neil Young, Joni Mitchel, everyone wanted to go to his house to party. They lasted until the sun came up!

Clint all it does is highlight and advise of their passing. There is no need to make comparisons about their talent or skill level or where they sit on the world stage, feel free to do that else where, if you feel need. All this thread has ever done is to lament that one of our own, regardless of skill, talent or luck with a music contract, is no longer with us. Simples.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Nice interview with Gordon.

1 Like

Beautiful girl, beautiful vocals. :cry:

Haha! I didnā€™t think I needed to have this thread explained to me when the title is clear enough and I mentioned that I disagree with the premise and approach. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Paul McCartney and others will pass and they wonā€™t get their own thread ā€“ on to the next death posting in the amalgamated death thread (deaths often come in threes).

So yeah, the musicians that inspired us to learn guitar from Justin canā€™t get their own thread with their name in the title when they pass ā€“ where we can take some time to pay our respects before the next death occurs. Weā€™ve exchanged ease of moderation for a number of important and obvious reasons that donā€™t require enumeration.

This forum has been home base for me, which is why I speak up and feel that it can do better than this.

So you want 10 or 20 threads telling the members of the forum something that they already know so the mods can move these thread into one. Seen it on every forum I visit except this one.

You can pay your respects in this thread instead of complaining about it.

1 Like

LIke I said, if you want to do a personal homage elsewhere with a cover or something, knock yourself out. This is just a news broadcast not a tribute. But like you said you donā€™t need an explainer. :thinking:

Clint, there is no rule anywhere in the community precluding a stand alone topic to serve as commemoration and in honour of the greats of the music world when their time has come.
These topics (the year-long, all-in-one RIP topics) serve as a single entry point to mark the passing of many artists no matter their standing in the musical pantheon - obscure or legendary.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

What kind of world or community do we live in, if a point of view that is different than our own equates to complaining? I would call it narrow minded and a little stifling. I get that some may not like that I have escalated the issue, but I think Iā€™ve raised a valid point and itā€™s OK that we disagree. We wonā€™t agree that it makes me a complainer.

That is not the sentiment/ethos that Iā€™ve come to embrace here.

Phew!! You 'da man, sir @Richard_close2u! I was hoping to hear that.

Here is what triggered me (to use common vernacular), I came online after GLā€™s passing and found a tribute thread. I clicked on it to find it was locked, forwarded to this catch-all thread, with a note that it will be deleted in 30 days or some such.

Since standalone ā€œIn Passingā€ threads are not strictly forbidden, I will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks for bearing with me.