Open Mic 08: Recording + After-Show Chat

Good idea for the future. Would just need to remember to make a note of that on the day.

@Richard_close2u Thank you for your feedback Richard, it’s always good to hear.

Yeah, damn boob that I did. I just knew something was going to go wrong as my practice on the run up week was interrupted by stuff and when I did manage to get some in I kept making silly mistakes but we live and learn.

:joy: I was seeing if I could rock the look but I’m thinking not. :smiley:

2 Likes

Personally, this adds another layer of admin after the event and not all the song titles are picked up as the show progresses, as you are so wrapped up in the event. Sometimes you don’t even remember your own performance.

So you would have to track down the performers confirm what they played and then post the info and that could add to a long time from to collate the info, once the show is done and dusted.

I also don’t advocate folks announcing their songs in advance. Some wish to surprise us and another may change songs at the last minute.

For me each performer stating the song at the beginning of their set, should be adequate, so if you listen and watch the whole show the songs will be apparent. On the odd occasion the performer does not give the name you could ask in the post show chat ie here if you want to know.

If you watch the event you’ll see what folk have done. My 2 cents, not something I am keen on.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thank you kind sir ! Yes the vocals was one of the better ones I have done, especially on Amazing. So some additional Aerosmith has been lined up for the future. I am sure folks will disagree but on reflection I am in two minds on the campfire version of that song but it suited a purpose. There is a very good reason bands have lead singers. Especially the ones that are easy on the eyes !!

Agreed

Appreciate your thoughts.

1 Like

The longest cliffhanger ever…

I’ve been waiting with baited breath all day, checking throughout the day at work, just hanging out for @Richard_close2u to watch the rest of the performance so I can read the feedback :joy:

6 Likes

@jkahn sorry to keep you hanging on a little further … should I give updates and ETAs as the day progresses? :rofl:

1 Like

Feel a little bit guilty on that Toby :see_no_evil::flushed::scream:

Pearl Jam - Immortality was the one i played. Noticed there was a question in the live chat aswell. Forgot all about it :grin:

I’ll wait in suspense, can’t be as bad as the 2 year wait for the final Game of Thrones season, right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Trond

Absolutely no need for that, we all have our opinions. This is just mine, others may wish something like this to be included in future OMs. I just don’t think it’s necessary. But as I say, just my humble opinion not that of others. All is cool my Nordic friend.

Edited post dog outing :smile:

1 Like

:rofl:

Guilty of not say witch song im about to perform before i start…

i am on the same page with you on the discussion. See some drawbacks in anounce what to perform in advance.

Ah got you !! No harm no foul.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks @Richard_close2u for the review and feedback, the taps were a (very) late addition, they went in on the morning of the OM, so I’m really glad that they came across well (I was struggling to create differentiation between the chorus and middle 8 from the verses as it’s the same progression all the way through, and my fingerpicking/flatpicking isn’t yet to a level where I can sing at the same time).

A target for the future is to flatpick or fingerpick instead of single-strum and tap.

1 Like

If done, definitely only after the show as part of the posting of the recording.

I’ve been meaning to have a bash at Hydrogen for some time, is it something you were able to work out yourself, or did you find any nice tutorials onlince?

Oh, that’s a good point! @adi_mrok did you get a copy of the chat log please? I had to reconnect a couple of times during the event due to network issues, and therefore lost/missed a fair deal of the chat.

Pah! 2 years, that’s nothing. I’ve been waiting 10 years for the next book. :crazy_face:

It will be like going back to the pub the next day after a live OM and seeing a list of what’s been played the night before on their notice board. Does that happen ? :man_shrugging:

I saved a copy of the chat, I just need to figure out how to post it, if nobody else has it.

1 Like

It was fairly intuitive, but I had been using other DAWs before that.

You create individual bars, name them something and then stick them together in the time line. So fairly quick process to get a basic rhythm going.

One thing I learnt which made a difference was using the ‘Black Pearl’ ‘drum kit’ sounded much better than the default. Not sure if this is installed will all versions, I’m using OpenSuSE Linux.

For the tracks themselves I just search on YouTube for drum notations, and copy them in:

Jack Young has a few on there for teaching drums.

I’ll put together a tutorial when I get chance.

2 Likes