Open Mic 09: Recording + After-Show Chat

I finally got to watch the whole thing, what a show! Lots of fun watching it but I’m very sorry for missing the banter.

@Rossco01 wow just wow! The sound production is something that you got so figured out. That’s what I call an introduction, I may even say I enjoyed your version more than the original. Strange, eh? :sweat_smile:

@DavidP great stuff Dave, only good and relaxed vibes from your performance. Very mellow.

@grayal nice one Al, steady and getting more into it as the song goes by. Cool guitar choice BTW (another proud DOT owner here)

@liaty awesome Dave, I’m not a big Metallica fan, but enjoyed this from begining to end. And the builds up and release before the last section was so powerful.

@eric.lennon very cool Eric, love that song! Didn’t know it was from a Scottish writer? Although I’ll admit I don’t know a lot of Scottish musicians, I’m very much into Gerry Cinnamon’s music.

@Malz hey Mal, sounding really good, very soft (in a good way) and the guitar playing just fantastic.

@Notter My favorite from the show Mark, some may say I’m a biased Oasis fan :sweat_smile: but I don’t think so! The song just flowed perfectly out of you, with stops in the playing at the right times, very cool vibes

@martzon Great performance Martin, love Dublin btw! I didn’t know this song and I may have to learn it after this. Great rhythm, picking and percussion notes.

@SgtColon Stefan, are you in a band? If not, you should! Not a missed strum or note, just flawless.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Toby, awesome seeing you with the acoustic belting out those lyrics, very energetic

5 Likes

Kevin’s review part 2:

@jestersea good stuff as well Jesse, especially the single note picking!

@rodreilly another song that I didn’t know and loved it, and I think that has to do a lot with your vocals! Keep rocking!

@Rod58 always good to see you working in your studio Rod, love rem and you made the justice, while putting your little spin on the song.

@TheCluelessLuthier I was singing along the entire time, that’s a great sign for me! You guys form a great vocal duo!

@philsmith tough technical difficulties Phil, that said your playing and chord changes are looking good!

@John_in_Dot nice rhythm, not much more to add. Maybe some palm muting or strumming harder in some parts could give it a nice dynamic thing.

@jkahn love the energy, killer performance ending on a high note.

@sclay last but not least, what a great sound , I’m curious on how much time you put to making the mix work like this? But anyways, great steady playing and awesome vocals. And on top of that, looking confident! Love it

Congratulations to everyone, especially first time performers, it can be very intimidating but I hope you found out there’s no reason for it to be, everyone here is supportive and gives great tips.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Thanks so much. I have been planning to learn that song for a while so this open mic was just the incentive needed.

1 Like

Thanks! Great/fun song to learn and play!

@Mari63 @KevinKevan Thank you both for the great feedback and for taking the time to have a listen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mari63 Thanks Mari. I do enjoy the fingerpicking and playing a few songs with this simple pattern. As for hearing the song played in a higher key with a capo, a few others made the same suggestion and I gave it a go over the weekend As Tears Go By (capo experiment)

@KevinKevan Thanks Kevin, glad you enjoyed it.

1 Like

@Mari63 Thankyou! It’s a really fun one to play with a lovey rhythm, only one barre chord too :wink::joy:.

@KevinKevan Wow, thanks! Nothing wrong with being a biased Oasis fan imo!! Appreciate the very kind words :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words, have been working on this for some time, it was almost played as I intended.

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement; the vocals were soft, I must attempt to make them louder when the song calls for it, too conscious of neighbours perhaps.

Struggling to keep up with the forum posts recently but thanks all for listening and for the very kind feedback.

2 Likes

Thank you Mari. Yeah it was about time I went “unplugged”. May be some more Bad Co next time !! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yep love songs with attitude is where its at !! :rofl: Thanks for the feedback :sunglasses:

@Mari63 & @KevinKevan

Thanks both for the positive feedback, appreciate the time put in for a full detailed review :smile:

1 Like

Thanks much ma’am!.. Rod

1 Like

Thank you sir!.. Rod

@KevinKevan Thanks for the encouraging words. Yes the song I did was from a Scottish duo called Steelers Wheel but the driving force of the band was Gerry Rafferty who went on to have a very successful career in the 70’s & 80’s. There used to be many successful artist from Scotland and also from other regions of the UK but now it seems we only seem to get the homogenised sounds of big music publishers these days. I do like the fact Gerry Cinnamon has made a successful career just based on his songwriting and his straightforward approach and not giving into the large music publishers, good on him.

3 Likes

Just caught up with the show, another fantastic event. Well done to all the performers, especially the first timers. Thanks to Toby and Jason for organizing.

4 Likes

Late to the party on this one, but really enjoyed watching all the performers. Well done to everyone.

Wonderful to have such a diversity of song styles, playing styles and levels. Everything from folks who are just getting started and building up their confidence, right up to those who could join a cover band and do gigs right now! Love to see it.

Seems wrong to pick favourites but the standouts for me were @martzon beautiful singing, @Notter rock-steady laid back chillout vibes and @jkahn letting it rip on those big strums.

Great to see @Rossco01 repping the Placebo cover of RUTH, has always been my favourite version of that song and you did it proud mate.

I came out of this with a full head of steam to have a crack at performing at an OM sometime down the road.

8 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it Brendan. The OMs are fun, pretty early for us Aussies though!

Thanks alot Brendan appreciated!!
It’d be awesome to see you play at an OM, look forward to it when you feel you’re ready to go :slight_smile: