Open Mic 15: Recording & After-Show Chat

Sounds terrific Gordon good promotional effort!! It’s probably better that none of us knew of the extended audience to be fair!! :rofl:

4 Likes

Nice bit of advocacy for the platform, Gordon. :clap:

2 Likes

Happy it worked.

1 Like

@Willsie01 I went back and had a second listen to confirm my recollection, John, and both guitar and voice sounded good, tones and balance. I think fair to say that acoustic through a condensor will generally sound better than plugged in, until you start having top quality electronics in your acoustic (certainly true for my acoustic until I add the compensation of playing through the PlayAcoustic pedal)

2 Likes

No tags apart from the debutants so I can fit it all in one post…

I like to do these retrospective reviews as I’m dipping in and out on the night trying to get sorted, anyhow:

Mark a natural host. Great performance, you’ll knock it out of the park at an in person open mic. Hit a wrong chord, didn’t let it bother you- that’s where it’s at :slightly_smiling_face:

David beautiful. Love the dark sounding chords on this one. Really put together well.

@nicolekkb Nichole wow, what a debut :star2: great song choice, played with confidence, competence and with such a natural voice.

Stefan :metal: fantastic arrangement. Loving the deep recalls :melting_face:. Flawless technique Stefan, again sailed unnoticed past a couple of blips, well done.

Mal and Lara what a duet! Really compliment each other perfectly :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Fun, fun fun!

John wonderful finger work. So relaxed :sunglasses:. Vocals sweet too. Nice work.

Jason your best yet. Suits you so well and will sit perfectly with the band set. Love the tone, overdrive is set perfectly :ok_hand:

@rorystrat Peter great debut. Wow, great vocals. Flawless guitar work :+1:. Not a hint of nerves, brilliant.

Serhat last minute change! Performed with confidence, great stuff :sunglasses:. Wonderful strumming technique and timing. Well done Serhat.

Tjeerd great finger work. Vocals are spot on too. Such a classic sounding vox, I could be in the cinema :cowboy_hat_face:

@eccleshall Ruaridh, fantastic debut. No fear, way to go! Sweet melody work :slightly_smiling_face:. A natural.

Eric you’re up! Haunting, lovely. Ooo, smooth transition. Great performance, delivered well.

Adi, wow absolutely stunning :star_struck:. Great finger work, what a technique! Fantastic tone, timing and feel are spot on.
On the night favourite :star:

Dave (me) tried to make it work with a looper, but not much of a tune without the bridge. Guess I would need a boss looper station or such but not going down that road.
The idea came from a request from a lady who reads poetry at a regular open mic, asked if I knew the song and I said I would give it a go. Glad I did, it’s an awesome intro to slide playing. Certainly a test for the ear.

Mark and Jen - such chemistry as usual :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: great duet. Beautiful arrangement, great balance of tones and vocals.

Brian, Chris and Tor - brilliant group effort, came together really well. As always full of energy! Extra shout out to Chris, magic!

Mari - 21 again?! Rocking version. Well played with excellent percussion for good measure :heart_eyes:. Such a great feel for the song.

Tosh fantastic vox! Nice steady rhythm, clean chord changes - a star for sure :star2:

Dale - keeping engaged with the audience along with great technique and spot on vocals, all round great performance :star_struck:

Jen and Dan - becoming a familiar favourite. Kept the spirit of the original fantastically. Some tricky licks/riffs there Jen, well delivered :guitar:
Great vocals Dan!

JK - perfect tone, loving the dive-bombs! Vocals suiting the sound nicely. Solid performance JK!

Jeff boom! Rock ‘n Roll indeed :smiley: There’s magic in those fingertips, along with sweet tone :saluting_face:
What a way to close out!

Well done everyone and a last shout out to Toby, Adi and Mark :clap::clap::clap:

16 Likes

It was nice to be able to watch it live for the first time. Such a great show with mighty efforts by all the performers.
Also kudos to Mark and Toby for hosting/organising.

8 Likes

One is to watch videos people from the community put up on their learning log and so on, but this is a concert from, to and within the community :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: What a cool, lovely and supportive concept, for those participating and the rest of the community. - It’s almost like coming together IRL on a big stage and just rock and rule. - That was an awesome watch and listen. So much fun and joy from all. Really cool. Party time :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :sunglasses: :cowboy_hat_face: :heart: :heart: :heart: :pray: :pray: :pray:

8 Likes

Thanks Dave really appreciate the feedback.

1 Like

Sorry, but need to say this also. (Dave aka liaty already said it for each and you all did amazing and such lovely people) - I have watched most before via learning log etc and kind of knew what to expect. The one that almost knocked me off the chair as I knew nothing about @Jenndye429 - Jen and Dan.

My mind was like: The ballad that didn’t come, ok, then raging machine and I was ok, something heavy is coming. Then some words that had to be changed. Ok, something really heavy. - Then the first strum almost knocked me off the chair, that was so cool and then just full hammer on, no holding back!! :+1: :sunglasses: :facepunch: :muscle: - Even I am not into this style of music, it was just awesome to watch and listen to both of you. - My very best wishes to both of you and may you be supportive to each other in any way and have a most lovely, fun and enjoyable music journey. KUDOS - :heart: :heart: :heart: :pray: :pray: :pray:

6 Likes

Thank you Dave for taking the time and commenting on every single performance :hugs:.
And a special ‘Thank you’ for the encouraging words you’ve found for my part :blush:.

5 Likes

@NicoleKKB - You are like a natural talent and so fast progress. Great voice also! Really pleasant listening to you playing. Wish you a most lovely guitar journey and my very best wishes for you and your family as well. :heart: :pray: - I stayed in Austria for a couple of years and visited many times. Have so many lovely friends there. - One thing I learned in Austria was: Geht e um nichts, picked up from the locals in Scharnstein, Voralpen. :+1: :sunglasses: :pray:

3 Likes

Dave thanks for your review of the show and my performance(s) :wink:, really appreciate it. Fingers crossed when the time comes for a live OM deep end dive! I’ll be needing thge community in a run up to that without doubt!

4 Likes

@liaty Thanks for the extra review and comments Dave. 21 again? That’s not an age I’d like to go back to, somewhere between there and here I think lol.

I really enjoyed the slide guitar you played. In random guitar purchases over the years I’ve somehow ended up with 2 slides, but don’t recall ever trying slide guitar. My current dreamer song is played on slide though, so I would like to learn. What resources would you recommend? Justin? Others?

2 Likes

HI Mari, not for learning particularly, more for inspiration. Anything Derek Trucks plays is worth a close look. He is a master at slide guitar. Rick Beato also did an interview with him where they talk about slide.You were good on the OM, I enjoyed your spot.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave for the kind words, and everyone involved putting the OM together, @Notter @adi_mrok @DavidP et al. It was a really fun night
I’ve got loads to work on, and am keen to take part in the next one :+1::sweat_smile::heart:

4 Likes

Hi Kim, thanks so much for your kind words :hugs:. I’m glad, you liked my performance :blush:.
So funny that you lived in Austria for some time. I hope, you had a good time. Austrians aren’t always easy to get in contact with… and also a bit grumpy sometimes :face_with_peeking_eye:.

I wish you all the best. I hope, you’re enjoying your guitar journey too :smiley:.

2 Likes

Hi Dave, also from me a word of appreciation for your review and your kind words. It is really very well put together. Also, I was particularly impressed by your slide playing. It was spot on.

2 Likes

Well done peeps, cracking show. Just watched again it again and spent a wonderful best part of 2 hours doing so.

Some high level not to in depth comments as you all did a great job. But

You Rock Kitten

@Notter Mark – Great opening performance. Solid playing and singing. Well done.

@DavidP David – Sweet tone and relaxed vocals. Good to see you pushing the boundaries.

@NicoleKKB Nicole – Great debut and super anniversary. Like the way you focused on the camera. Confidently played and sung, so time to sign up again for OM XVI !!

@SgtColon Stefan – Great song choice, solid rhythm and non-stopped lyrics. Some nice dynamics. Two minor blips and you kept going, now stop beating yourself up.

@Malz Mal & Lara – As soon as you announced the title, I knew we’d be in for a treat. You guys absolutely killed it and the vocals were stella as always. Always great to see you playing together.

@Willsie01 Willsie – Lovely to hear this song again. That was sweetly picked and great how you switched between picking and strumming. Your vocals really suited the song John and great balance, despite the “tech” issue.

@Rossco01 Jason – Rossco 02 ?? Really !! Nerves ? What nerves ? Just realized the T matches the PRS :rofl: Nailed it. Vocals were superb. Enough said !!

@rorystrat Peter – Super debut. Great song to start your OM journey on. Loved the tone of the LP. Really impressive vocals, super phrasing, you looked really comfortable. Well done sir! Good chat after as well.

8 Likes

@elevatortrim Serhat – Can’t beat some Creedence !! Really great job especially switching at the last minute ! Super rhythm for a real pumped up song. Well done.

@TRJ Tjeerd – Really enjoyed your cover of this old classic. Been learning a lot of Delta Blues recently, so it was good to see a close up of your of hands. The song really was perfect your vocals. You have the Blues man!

@Eccleshall Ruaridh – Another old classic or I am getting old ! I must checkout the Larkin Poe version. Really enjoyed that and a great debut.

@eric.lennon Eric – Despite the chaotic start good to see you just cracked on. Loved Angie, well sung and a great touch for such a softly played song. Wild World fitted in like a glove and a great transition. Still think Satisfaction would have been a good destination. Or is Angie satisfied ? Another super performance.

@adi_mrok Adi – RHCP and on fire !! Them chillies are hot and so were you. Super tone and superfast fingers. Boy done good, absolutely loved it !!

@liaty Dave – Jeez Mr Greg you’re another one who made feel like I was in the Tardis. So much time travel. Oh yeah you made me feel very old as I have not heard that since the 60s. But it was mega to quote Lemmy. Can’t say more than that, exquisite tones. You rocked.

@TheCluelessLuthier Mark & Jen – The Cats in the hats are back and cool as cucumbers. Yay got the bass levels up, go Jen. Another great take on and old classic. You guys always deliver.

@brianlarsen Brian and the Wirral Posse – Something went wrong !! I recognized the song, have you sold out ?? Love me a cheerful ditty from REM. Thought your vox and the mandolin created a super balance and atmosphere. Well done Chris and Tor. I like this new Brian but stay clear of the happy shiny people and songs :rofl:

8 Likes

@Mari63 Mari – Good to see the new guitar in action in the hands of the young pup. I can only repeat what I said on the night – beautiful.

@ToshS Tosh – Cash is Back !! Great to see you back Tosh, Great choice from a great covers album. Man I missed your vocals and the sound of that guitar. No nits as Clint would say. Out of the park.

@Charlie_James Dale – As soon as you said Salisbury Hill, I thought here we go more time travel and more memories. This came out in 77 and I loved Gabriel (Genesis was never the same), it was also the year I got married and the birth of proper real Punk. And then Skynyrd the plane crash :cry: . Man, what a year, Playing and singing this was absolutely epic Dale. Playing it would have been enough but vocals as well. Loved the power and dynamics in both instruments. Time well spent, much respect sir.

@Jenndye429 Jen & Dan – RATM great choice. Dan coming alive ! Jen down dirty and grooving. Slow tempo head banging plays havoc with my arthritis and I can’t throw gang signs. Go Portland !! Loved it loved it, loved it. More please.

@jkahn JK – Black Keys whoa ! Bet the neighbours loved you rehearsing that at 4am !! You owned it boy and the vocals were spot on. Found your key man, go low my friend! Cracking cover. Ohio to Oz ? Works for me.

@nzmetal Jeff – Kiwi goes Led Zep cool ! Great closer some dizzying moves there. Lots of work put into that and you pulled it off supremely. We will mute Brian next time. Rock on Jeff.

Great to watch the show again and take a more leisurely listen. Even when not involved on the night I feel a bit hyped up, hoping its all going to go ok and you guys smashed it. Again.

Thanks to the players – play on.

Thanks to the audience for your continued support – places open when you are ready to play !

And a huge thanks to @Notter Mark for being an ace host.

See you on May 27 !!

:sunglasses:

11 Likes