Open Mic 20 : Recording & After-Show Chat

Fantastic show tonight folks. Big thanks to both performers and audience alike, thank you all for your support. Huge thanks to @brianlarsen for another super job at hosting the event.
And a call out to @Rossco01 as without Jason bringing the idea of an online open mic to the table, as the early COVID Lockdowns started, we would not be celebrating our 20th edition.

Thank you all.

Zoom chat

:sunglasses:

22 Likes

Happy 20th open mic to the community! :tada: :microphone:

I thoroughly enjoyed the show today, and as always, I am amazed by the range of talent we have here.

Special thanks to @brianlarsen for hosting @TheMadman_tobyjenner for keeping the ship sailing smoothly and @nzmetal for your tech/zoom expertise

Canā€™t wait for the next one! :guitar: :drum:

8 Likes

I couldnā€™t get zoom to work on my laptopā€”it kept kicking me back to the ā€œlaunchā€ page, so I didnā€™t get to see it, but I will watch it in Itā€™s entirety as soon as that option is available :+1:

Iā€™m sure that you all did amazing!

8 Likes

Well done everyone, another terrific show and a worthy landmark 20th!

Looking forward to see the last few performances in the recording, the standard was through the roof.

Good work @brianlarsen for smooth and fun hosting, @nzmetal for tech godliness and @TheMadman_tobyjenner for continuing to herd cats like a ā€œone man and his dogā€ champion! And in advance for @jkahn for sorting our recording, hope you had a terrific anniversary.

Until the next one :guitar::tada::champagne::metal:

8 Likes

Thank you so much to all the organisers and performers!
It was an awesome and entertaining show!
Looking forward to the next one! :smiley:

7 Likes

Editing it now, although editing is very light based on @brianlarsen and @nzmetalā€™s request to keep it ā€œas liveā€ (which I am all for!) - just fixing volume as I watch it to bring the quiet performers up to level. So should be online in a couple of hours.

Anniversary morning was great thank you :smiley: Although wish I could have been at the OM!

8 Likes

Surely there are some parts that could be edited out?!?? :wink: Wouldnā€™t want it going to long after all. :flushed:

4 Likes

I literally had a request to please leave in your long intro as people found it fascinating! If you want it edited out I can do that though, just let me know now and Iā€™ll cut it before upload. :grinning:

I was thinking of having an extra timestamp for the start of your actual song though so people could go straight to it.

1 Like

Hah - ok. Letā€™s leave it in. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing if it was as bad as it was in my mind.
So frustrating! And not the first time itā€™s happened. Iā€™m still learning the technology and ā€˜setupā€™ - and there are stumbles along the way. All part of the journey.

5 Likes

It was really interesting given you do pretty complicated loop setups and weā€™re all guitarists here. :wink: I find it hard enough to lay down a single layer loop, let alone what you do.

2 Likes

My first one as a spectator. Was a bit late because of the wrong timezone I gave :upside_down_face:

It was amazing seeing everyoneā€™s amazing contributions. Very inspiring.

For the people that use more than a microphone for an input, what software do you use to send multiple inputs through the zoom call? Is it Voice Meter or something different?

5 Likes

Lots of different options @razshaw. A good place to start is here: Open Mic Tech Talk - What you need to get started as a performer v2. A lot of the gear is the same as used for recording (audio interface & DAW).

Thereā€™s a whole category on tech setup options: Tech Talk - How to setup Zoom / Audio / Video - JustinGuitar Community

3 Likes

Well done JK canā€™t wait to have a look. 0330 is generally too damn early for me :scream: or late, :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Hey everyone, here is the recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uJKWQ3yfUk

@DavidP @Richard_close2u @TheMadman_tobyjenner if one of you could please add it to the header post?

@liaty @dobleA @TheMadman_tobyjenner I didnā€™t catch the name of your songs in the recording, let me know and Iā€™ll add it to the Youtube description.

8 Likes

Jeez mate youā€™re fast :scream::+1:

1 Like

Sympathy for the Devil by The Rolling Stones.

Iā€™ll add the link when I get to the pc, as just surfacing.
That sure was a quick turnaround, thanks JK.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Ok, on second thought - edit those twelve false starts out :sweat_smile: :flushed:
Thanks for putting this together JK. appreciate your work!

3 Likes

Goodness gracious me, Toby created the Topic and JK dropped the recording in as a reply already, you guys sure are in a rush :rofl: @jkahn please can you also include the link to the chat file and then Toby and I will race to see who gets to edit it into the Topic First Post :laughing:

As for not recognising SftD, JK, Iā€™ll give you a pass based on age and the Stones not having the same general mass appeal of the Beatles :laughing: But seriously, itā€™s the Beggars Banquet album opener. Iā€™m unashamedly a lover of the Stones, especially the albums from their great run of 4 from '68-'72 (their greatest hits compilations arenā€™t too bad), but would advocate those 4 are worth a listen at least once, which you may or may not enjoy.

8 Likes

Is it too quick? Itā€™s been hours since the OMā€¦ I just emailed you the chat log, I always forget about that :roll_eyes: and canā€™t upload it direct to the community.

Thanks updated it. And @DavidP - the Stones were well before my time, I know a couple of their songs from hearing them in movies or ads but really donā€™t know a lot of it! Or have the inclination to dig deeper, they donā€™t really do it for me. :smiley:

1 Like

No worries, I was just having a Sunday morning laugh. All good.

Chat sorted, thanks

Fair enough. I feel similar about subsequent generations ā€¦ Grunge, Brit Pop ā€¦ I find a lot of what folk here rave about to be nothing special.

Every now and then, Iā€™ll listen to Robert Johnson, Django Reinhardt, Charlie Christian and the like. Will be interesting to see what from the second half of the 20th century stands the test of time and gets some attention in another 20-30 years.

All good. Fun to talk about and dip into for a listen now and then.

1 Like