Rhythm & Fills x2

Inspired by @jkahn’s AVOYP post I learned this set piece for solo guitar (from https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/lick-in-riff-bg1804). At the same time I was finally able to hang out with a guitar friend for an afternoon and learn a few cool things. The 2nd link is therefore another semi-set piece I learned from him. The first bit plays the chord progression, then 2, 3 & 5 are the set piece and in the 4th go around I tried to mix it up a bit. It’s lots of fun adding some lead to rhythm. And there is definitely a lot to learn going down this path!

22 Likes

Terrific playing Mari. That little variation in the LicknRiff was pretty cool. And loved the pentatonic riff/ lead piece too. Thats a study piece for me right there. :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thanks Shane. I got Justin’s Solo Blues Guitar course and I hope to be learning some more cool pieces there :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Mari,
Very good and in a super fast and good rhythm. :clap: :bouquet: :sunglasses:

I’m doing about the same thing, but thanks to recording myself I find out that playing this for a long time without an amplifier I learned many things wrong(sloppy) ,so started yesterday with the amplifier on,…the rhythm licks I`m going to put in between my improvisation stuff later I think…
Thanks for the further inspiration… :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hey Mari… wow you’re such a super learner… you picked them up quickly… you’ve definitely got the blues running through your blood… rhythm was great, picking was great and the tone you dialed in fitted both pieces very nicely… looking forward to following your progress through the Blues Solo Course. If I remember correctly there are some challenge posts relating to the course on the forum that Richard was trying to revive.

1 Like

Really great feel coming out there Mari, you’ve inspired me to take a look at the solo blues course. Unaccompanied playing is something I’d love to be able to do.

1 Like

Glad I could inspire you to look into something Mari!

Sounded great. Loved your variation on lick n riff and that second piece was especially good. It’s the kind of stuff I’d eventually like to be able to play.

Awesome share.

1 Like

Great share Mari and some nice work going on in both videos. Something I’ve been moving towards as I find changing between rhythm and lead and alternating between the two quite a challenge. Not even the slightest chance of adding vocals to the mix but one day maybe.
I’ve also just started Justin’s Solo Blues and spent a few days learning Steady Thumb, alternating around the 3 acoustics but seeing you and JK using electrics for these exercises have got me thinking it would be fun to try as well. So more inspiration, thank you !

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Mari
That was terrific. You and @jkahn have inspired me to have a go at this. I’ve been sitting on a guitar plateau recently. (albeit more comfortably since I got my new chair :smile:). My new chair arrived today
Strum-a-dum-dum sing along or else trying to put together lead riffs to 12bb backing tracks which never sound all that great.

What you put together there sounded great. Well done!

2 Likes

Hi Mari, I thought both of your improvisations were pretty decent, I think all you need to do is think less and feel more; that’s the secret of playing the blues it’s all about playing by feel.
Something will click and you will know exactly what I mean, just keep doing what you’re doing but experiment more trying different things until you just play, forgetting about the rules let your ears do the thinking.

2 Likes

:clap: :clap:
Both sounded fabulous, Mari. I must kick my you know what and get to learning some of these studies as like many others, I’d love to be able to play solo in that way. And it is only my procrastination that stands in the way of getting to grips with it.

I especially liked the second study that blended the lead with bar chords. Sounds so cool to be able to do that.

And the tones on both were pleasing to the ear!

2 Likes

Thanks everybody for listening and commenting :slight_smile:

@roger_holland Thank you Rogier. I often play my electric without an amp as well, since I often practice at work on my lunch break, so I know exactly what you mean about not learning things entirely correct that way. I have a Vox AmPlug headphone ‘amp’ that I try to use, but it doesn’t always work, I have to tighten some connections in my guitar. The AmPlug though is a great practice tool. It’s not very pricey and it sounds great, even with the little ear buds I use.

@Socio Thank you James. I will have to check out the challenges and see about posting something there (eventually). Thanks for the comment on tone too, that is one of my biggest challenges. I had practiced using my Katana 50, but with headphones, using a patch I thought sounded pretty good, but as soon as I unplugged the headphones to try to record it I thought it sounded crap. I then went to my 2nd amp, a Fender VibroChamp XD, which a friend had set up for me using his Blues Driver pedal. I love that amp but it needs to be turned up, and that’s hard to do when the music room is right next door to the living room!

@twistor59 Thank you Phil. I’m looking forward to taking a look at Justin’s solo blues course too! :slight_smile:

@jkahn Thanks JK. The 2nd piece is the kind of stuff I’d eventually like to be able to play as well :laughing: It was a fun one to learn, and now that I have the base kind of down there’s lots to explore. Those bar chords are unfortunately a killer on my hand though, so short practice sessions for me for stuff like that.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Thank you Toby. One of the reasons I like this kind of music is that there is no chance of adding vocals! I’m happy to just play :slight_smile: . Re electric, if I hadn’t seen JK playing it on his electric I would have just gone for the acoustic too, since that’s what Justin’s playing.

@sairfingers Thanks Gordon. Paying forward the inspiration is a good thing. Sounds like lots of us will be learning some solo blues :). (ps I just followed the link through to see your new chair. That’s several steps up from the kitchen chair I use lol)

@DarrellW Thank you Darrell. I am waiting on that ‘click’, but enjoying the process. Your comments also sit very nicely with a new favorite quote, from Charlie Parker: “First you learn the instrument, then you learn the music, then you forget all that s**t and just play.” That expresses my hope perfectly.

@DavidP Thank you David. And it’s nice to see you hanging about in the Community, good to know that you’re on the recovery road :slight_smile: I agree that the 2nd piece sounds so cool. By the next day I’d forgotten probably 75% of what my friend showed me, so I sent him 5 little video clips to ask what I was doing wrong, and he sent me 8 video clips back - very helpful for learning! And thanks for the tone comment :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Mari that was great, well THESE were great! Really liked both but I was more interested in second recording as first I probably hear a 100 times by now :laughing: it has little Hendrixy vibe to it which is what I dig, really nicely played but was surprised you haven’t used your new Tele for it :grinning: all the best!

1 Like

@adi_mrok thanks Adrian. And you’ll have to get onto that Solo Blues stuff too! I decided to use my Strat for recording rather than my Tele cuz that one still needs a good set up. Until then I’m more forgiving of the notes than I expect anyone else to be lol

1 Like

Thought this was really cool! This is something i need to work on as well! Thanks!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Bytron08 thanks Byron. You definitely play some cool stuff adding riffs to rhythm, won’t hurt to learn some more! :slightly_smiling_face:

I really like what you did here. Playing like this is a real ruttbuster and a great way to push one’s playing forward. Very nice. I like the unpretentious ambient mic setup as well. Guitarist & guitar – winning combo. This is what I come here for. Play on playa!

1 Like

@CT thanks lots Clint, I aim to push my playing forward and keep having fun :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great stuff Mari. :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Mari, Sounds like you’re having a lot of fun here, and you are well on your way. I’m liking that
first one a lot, so much so that you had me playing along. Thanks.

1 Like