The consequences of searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus- Part II

The background or Part I of this saga can be read here :smiley:

The storm has passed and we’re all still alive…
The Johnny Dowd circus rolled into town a day early due to a cancelled show on Mother’s Day and we ate, drank and made merry for 48 hours instead of the promised one.
I dug deep into my hosting skills, baking birthday brownies for Captain Mike, providing oat milk for Park’s coffee and performing minor surgery on Johnny’s injured thumbnail with a red-hot paper clip.
I even washed and dried all their clothes, so they’d be sweet-smelling for the gentry down South. I must be one of the few guys on the planet the have been exposed to Johnny’s jocks on tour :rofl:
They are three of the most unpretentious, authentic, decent, funny guys you could meet.
I had been a bit nervous suggesting to them that I’d like to open as their support act, including playing one of their songs, but they insisted we do that one as an encore with the whole band. (In a different key to what I had practiced :open_mouth:). Chris and Geraldine joined in.
(I’m hoping someone recorded at least some of it)

They say you should never meet your heroes.
Bullshit.
Imagine one of your favourite musicians brings his band to your living room and they back you up as you play one of your favourite songs by them :open_mouth:

The tour and album is called ‘Is Heaven Real?’
The answer is YES! :pray: :innocent:

Here’s the opener ‘I Fell Over’ by the incredible Skyscraper Stan
(I tagged him already on fb to see if he’ll do something similar :rofl: )

Edit:
Soundcheck after breakfast with Park Doing still in his pyjamas :rofl:
I was gutted I stopped recording before Mike segued into Sabbath’s Iron Man towards the end of Johnny B Goode :sunglasses:

A couple of punters sent me snippets of some of the songs they played at the gig which I stitched together to make a medley from the gig :smiley:

Finally, this is the middle verse from the band’s encore, God Created Woman, with yours truly on vox and guitar, Chris on fiddle and my missus joining in the chorus :open_mouth:

The following bit was a bit chaotic, as I had rewritten the last verse, but sang it as Johnny launched into a distorted solo (which I didn’t even realise at the time) :rofl:
Great chaos!

14 Likes

Wow @brianlarsen
So it really happened
Michael

1 Like

Hi Brian,
How wonderful that it went so well :smiley: and it looks/sounds like a great audience… that must have been a great experience for 2 days :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

Sounds like a great couple of days, Brian, glad everything went well. The audience - including me! - definitely enjoyed the opening act!!

1 Like

Indeed it did @MAT1953, although I’m still not quite sure what ‘it’ was :rofl:

Thanks @roger_holland So well in fact that I celebrated with a couple of glasses of wine. I even contemplated having a smoke with Johnny, but thought with my age and sense, that would just be a bit too rock ‘n’ roll :wink:

Glad you enjoyed it @Mari63. I’ll see if I can rustle up some clips from some of the guests and add them here.
It was a pity @SgtColon couldn’t make it. He was all set to join us , but his car broke down :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Oh, too bad Stefan didn’t make it!

1 Like

Yes, I am very sad about it. Stupid car! :frowning: Next Monday before I can even get it looked at.

I hope you all had a great night, Brian and I will be there if there is another one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well we are being mightily prolific at the moment Brian, it’s brilliant!

What an experience for you (and no doubt for them :slight_smile: ). Like a pig in the mucky stuff :rofl: Super pleased for you, another one of those amazing life experiences :clap:

1 Like

That went down a real storm, Brian. How did it feel to perform live in front of one of your heroes?

Hmmmm, interesting. Should I ask?

1 Like

A pig in muck indeed :rofl:

Haha, how astute you are, Mark :nerd_face:
I told Johnny about my 19 Things and how I was now going to have to write a song about number 20 :rofl:

@SgtColon Number 1 on the guest list for the next one, Stefan, whenever that might be… :smiley:
The finger thing sounds more dramatic than it was. He was complaining of a sore thumb, having caught it in a door a couple of days before. I told him it would be a lot more comfortable if we burned through the base of the nail to release the pressure. All went smoothly, but it allows me to tell folks I put red hot pins under his fingernails to allow me to play :rofl:

2 Likes

Wow Brian. That sounded like a very fun and enjoyable weekend and experience. Now if only I could meet my heroes. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Wow Brian, sounds like one of those unforgettable evenings you’ll cherish 'til the end of days. :smiley:

Simply awesome and I’m so happy for you all turned out so well and you spent some fabulous time together! :slight_smile: Great opener, for sure, and a great story overall, amazing.

1 Like

Thanks, Eddie. It was :smiley:

You might be surprised how easy it is to interact with artists you admire. I steer clear of big name celebrities, as they are constantly being bombarded by strangers with admiration and requests and I don’t want to be a pain in the proverbials, but many are very approachable and glad to interact.

Vielen Dank Lisa,
Yes, this one has been seared well and truly into the memory banks.
Life is very good at the moment :smiley:

2 Likes

That looks like it must have been an amazing experience! Kudos for having the gumption to make it happen.

1 Like

Ha, I almost missed this! Happy to read you had a lot of fun together! Must have been some very inspiring days! Hope the good vibes are still around! I guess the house breathes music out of every square mm :blush:. Reading your posts never gets boring…

1 Like

So this is #20 on your List of Amazing Things! Incredible. You know how to get things done. I’m happy for you to have had such an
”Amazing” experience. Well done on your performance!! Were you exhausted after all the excitement ended?

1 Like

Cheers Mark @TheCluelessLuthier. It was superb :smiley:

The walls are still vibrating, as is the mobile that he made, which is now dangling down over the spot I performed in. Gotta have souvenirs :laughing:

@pkboo3 Haha, I told him about the 19 Things and how I was now going to have to write another song :roll_eyes: :rofl:
I was both buzzing and shattered for the next 24 hours…

3 Likes

I added some video snippets from the night to the first post above, but here’s a bit of the grand finale of the evening, when I got to play with my heroes :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Well that looked like an absolutely amazing night. Now when are you going touring with them?

1 Like

The best, James :grinning:

Always pushing the boundaries :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like