Version 3.2.0 released Jul 1, 2022 - improvements / songs gone

Hey, everyone. Regarding the song lists on the website: we’ll update them as early as Monday to make sure they fit the app.

1 Like

Yeah, seriously considering to not renew my subscription. When all the practice modules go from 10ish songs to play to 3ish songs the app lost a lot of its value. Regardless of copyright issues there must be songs for the practice modules.

3 Likes

I’m extremely frustrated too. At first sight, I’ve at least lost 8 songs I’m working on, some of them were intended to build up repertoire.
@direvus sums it up well:

Licensing issues are one thing, the other is not to communicate this to the customers in advance in a proper way.
I’m not interested in 400 new songs, if songs I worked on for month suddenly disappear, including some real classics. I chose this songs for certain reasons. Maybe “class instead of mass” would be better?
And this surely will happen again. Which songs will be the next? Is there any guarantee, that the next songs I’m selecting don’t disappear as well?
I use the app primarily as a source of backing tracks, aligned to the teaching concept. I subscribed not to search around for backing tracks, just to have them in one app, as long as I’m a beginner. Further down the road other sources may be better, but not at this stage. Yes, I do have my personal songbook, were I noted the chords of some songs, but playing them without any background sounds a bit annoying. It was just fun to play with the app.
I’m a real fan of Justins concept, never had any complaints but this is really disappointing.

4 Likes

And just to be clear: no song lessons will be removed from the website!

So many of the songs I have been learning have just vanished without trace, immediately after my subscription renewed as well… I am so frustrated. I am not interested in the new songs, I want to continue to learn and practice the songs I was working on… months of practice down the drain and back to the beginning on a new set, assuming I can find ones I like with the limited skills I have picked up so far.

So annoyed and frustrated right now I have had to abort todays practice!

Please bring back, one, brown-eyed girl, heroes and common people… I’m sure I’ve lost more but these are the key ones…

3 Likes

Hey David, don’t let it get to you and disrupt your practice. Yes, songs missing on the App which are part of your current practice routine is a real pain and I can understand your frustrations. Rather than abort your practice why not review Justin’s video lesson for the songs, create a chord and lyric sheet and jam along to the original recording on YouTube etc.

Did the licensing change for pretty old songs like Three Little Birds and Brown Eyed Girl? Those are two that were in my favorites and have now been deleted. Very disappointed that these songs and probably others that I have been working on are no longer available.

1 Like

I’m a beginner who is using the website for lessons and the app to learn songs. I am so disappointed that favorites I was working on have disappeared, especially classics like Three Little Birds and Blowin’ Smoke. And now there are only 3 songs in Grade 1, Module 4, which is my current level. The apologists in this community state that licensing is difficult. Perhaps this is true, but one would think that if the developer and principal cared about their subscribers, a detailed explanation would have been given, instead of no warning and a vague announcement that there would be 400 new songs.

I have made voluntary contributions to Justin for the website. I bought the app because of Justin’s praise of the song module. This leaves a bitter taste for me. I have cancelled my $90 subscription so it will not auto renew next year and moving forward will rely less on the songs module of the app as I don’t know which songs in the future I am working on through the app will disappear without warning.

Hello, everyone.

We’re sorry about the missing songs, and we completely understand your frustration.

One of our objectives is to ensure that songwriters and artists receive compensation for featuring their songs within the app. We see this as an important necessity within the music industry and a principle we hold close to our hearts.

However, following our best efforts and lots of back and forth with one of our licensing partners, we have had to remove some songs per their wishes.

We are still negotiating with the partner in question, and we will do our best to get them back on the app for everyone to enjoy, learn and rock out to!

We will be adding tracks sourced from other licensing partners in gradual stages, and we hope you like them as much as we do!

We hope you can understand the complexity of modern music licensing. We are truly apologetic that some of your previous favorite tracks may not be available on the app anymore.

Please rest assured that we’re doing everything in our power to get the songs back!

11 Likes

I have never been an app using for a couple of reasons but bought three of JG’s songbooks. These together with JG’s and YT’s videos have been great, and no chance of losing songs!!

Thanks laryne for the information. I think most people are sympathetic to the complexities of the licencing for all these songs. It must be difficult to manage.

What was missing in this case was change management from the team behind the app to make sure this (rather large) change was managed with the paying subscribers. There was no communication that this was coming. I’ve lost a large proportion of the songs I was working on. Some of them I was quite advanced with embellishments etc. Today’s practice session was weird and frustrating for me as 80% of it was learning brand new songs. The midi tracks are not nearly as fun to play along with as the band tracks.

Now, I really love Justin’s teaching style, but the app is competing for users’ money against a lot of other options. I’m debating if I’ll be better off getting YouTube premium to learn songs and play along (with a variety of teachers) versus renewing the app when my subscription expires.

Justin’s guitar course is awesome but this could have been managed to make the change easier for your paying customers (who are the ones subsidising all the fantastic free stuff from Justin).

5 Likes

Hi Laryne, despite beeing frustrated, I can understand the problems and licencing issues. For me it is just a question of communication by your partner musopia. They could have made an announcement in advance that a relevant part of the song library will be removed.
But how will this be handled in the future? If I take new songs, will they be removed also by the next update?
Should I better use other platforms to buy backing tracks I’m developing over a longer period?
Please don’t get me wrong, this should not be an affront, just a hint.
As there are lots of people who have very limited practicing time, it is a real problem of time to search new sources for maybe 60% or more of their favorite songs. I was not aware of these licencing problems, hard job for you all, hope there will be a solution for us all :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah I think this is really a messaging problem. Obviously stuff comes on and off all the time, and it would just be nice to announce it in advance, to help people plan. Platforms like Netflix announce when they’re removing shows, with enough time for you to finish up any ones you’ve started. And I think JG should do the same. For example, I just started a song a couple days ago that I wouldn’t have started if I’d known it would be immediately removed.

2 Likes

Yes, you learn more having a physical songbook whether it’s one of the JG Beginner or Intermediate Songbooks or one you’ve created yourself. That accompanied with watching the JG song video lessons. The app would be better if it included the JG song video lessons where they are available.

OK I was using Brown Eyed Girl to reinforce C chord changes - the revision part of playing songs in the practice schedule…

So now it’s Zombie by the Cranberries, great song and I can play with distortion while I do it.

I should have created song book as suggested in an earlier module, I was too lazy, using the songs app to show me the chords to change to.

I should be able to play Brown Eyed Girl now against a backing track if I can find one. If I write out the chords in in a song book…

Variety being the spice of life, maybe being forced to move songs is not a bad thing, but as previously mentioned some warning would have been good and ameliorated this outpouring of frustration a bit…

It’s a perfect time to start. See the Justin’s lesson for lyric and chord sheet template and check out his song lessons for the songs you are learning to get the chord progressions and strumming patterns etc.

1 Like

@larynejg

@MusopiaApps
@larynejg
@Richard_close2u
@DavidP

Suddenly getting the failed to load song messages again…

Luca and Rhiannon

Was getting for songs I lost, before the app update.

Hopefully this does not mean more songs will go missing…

Though app now can’t connect to server after I reboot phone and internet on phone working for other apps…

@GeoffMolyneux I had to delete the app and reload. Because the songs are server side the old app just doesn’t work any more.

It auto updated and I do have the new one. It worked the previous day.

Before with the old app I was getting this message, it seemed for some songs and not others - then those songs disappeared after the app update.

I am hoping this was a server issue rather than it indicating more songs are soon to be lost.

On the Tab " My songs" on the App, Pink Floyds Wish you Were Here ,has disappeared I with the Chords ! Strumming Patterns. What is with that?