Wild Horses [OPEN G] by The Rolling Stones Lesson

Learn to play Wild Horses [OPEN G] by The Rolling Stones on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Wild Horses [OPEN G] by The Rolling Stones | JustinGuitar

some of your best playing ever!!! a great lesson video to watch if you ever think about giving up this thing called “guitar” - it’ll inspire you to keep the hard work going. really like it! thanks

Is Wild Horses written in a certain key? how do you think the chord progression was developed…by just improvising in a certain key? it would be nice to understand how songs/chords like this were developed soo that perhaps, one day, we could write something “like” this… Thank you.

Justin is playing it in the key of G on a guitar in Open G tuning. I think the original was in E.

Here’s what Keith had to say in his book, Life: “Wild Horses almost wrote itself. It was really a lot to do with, once again, f***ing around with the tunings. I found these chords, especially doing it on a twelve-string to start with, which gave the song this character and sound. There’s a certain forlornness that can come out of a twelve-string. I started off, I think, on a regular six-string open E, and it sounded very nice, but sometimes you just get these ideas. What if I open tuned a twelve-string? All it meant was translate what Mississippi Fred McDowell was doing - twelve-string slide - into five-string mode, which meant a ten-string guitar.”

I’d bet a lot of the appeal comes from the open tuning sound of the guitar, too. Especially the 12-string used on the studio version. On the studio track you also have another guitar playing in Nashville tuning, if I recall correctly.