Wild Horses [OPEN G] by The Rolling Stones Lesson

Learn to play Wild Horses [OPEN G] by The Rolling Stones on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Wild Horses [OPEN G] by The Rolling Stones | JustinGuitar

some of your best playing ever!!! a great lesson video to watch if you ever think about giving up this thing called “guitar” - it’ll inspire you to keep the hard work going. really like it! thanks

1 Like

Is Wild Horses written in a certain key? how do you think the chord progression was developed…by just improvising in a certain key? it would be nice to understand how songs/chords like this were developed soo that perhaps, one day, we could write something “like” this… Thank you.

Justin is playing it in the key of G on a guitar in Open G tuning. I think the original was in E.

Here’s what Keith had to say in his book, Life: “Wild Horses almost wrote itself. It was really a lot to do with, once again, f***ing around with the tunings. I found these chords, especially doing it on a twelve-string to start with, which gave the song this character and sound. There’s a certain forlornness that can come out of a twelve-string. I started off, I think, on a regular six-string open E, and it sounded very nice, but sometimes you just get these ideas. What if I open tuned a twelve-string? All it meant was translate what Mississippi Fred McDowell was doing - twelve-string slide - into five-string mode, which meant a ten-string guitar.”

I’d bet a lot of the appeal comes from the open tuning sound of the guitar, too. Especially the 12-string used on the studio version. On the studio track you also have another guitar playing in Nashville tuning, if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Any chance of getting the tabs for this video

Hi Paul,
Welcome,…and Official JustinGuitar Products | JustinGuitar.com

you then have access to hundreds of good tabs, and many more useful things,…but it’s one of the few things here that isn’t completely free,
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Roger,
I have access to the tabs but I’m after the exact tabs for what Justin is playing in the video

Ah yes, I get it,…that’s a pity, with some songs that is indeed different…unfortunately you have to be patient, it is intended that everything goes perfectly together with Justin’s lessons, they are working hard on it… for now puzzle out the differences yourself or wait a while,…
And maybe there is someone who reads along and likes to find out,…it’s been a while but I managed to play it slowly, but I didn’t do any very active memories and I didn’t write it down either…Succes and have fun,…
Greetings,…

2 Likes

@middo333
In the TAB FAQs …

I hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

This sounds superb.
Definitely doesn’t sound like the raw sound output from the guitar though.
What setup was used to make it sound like this?
It sounds great.

Mike.

I like the lesson a lot. It clearly gets into the expressiveness of the song. The open G definately comes out, and I am happy that the lesson was done in open G.

Nothing to moan about the structure of the lesson, although I guess many of us will spend most time carefully going through the last third of it (Like 90%). Does youtube offer looping and slowing down I wonder - that would be nice.

What I am not that happy about is the disconnect between the website materials and the lesson. On the same page where the lesson is advertised as open G, the chord diagrams provided are for standard tuning, and are possibly not complete. And also, the tab’s are not that useful, because they are provided for all three guitars, and there does not seem to be a feature that allows me to focus on a single guitar part.

Its a pity of course that its not possible, like in other competing products like my songbook, with guitar pro, or ultimate guitar, to download, print or even upload in guitar pro.

Hey Justin,
I hope you still see these comments.
I just want to say a Big Thankyou! for putting this lesson together. My favourite band, and one of their most pretty songs. You had me playing open like Keith! And it sounds just like the song on the record! THANK YOU JUSTIN!!!

1 Like

I am super digging this lesson! Does anyone have a link to the version that Justin mentioned of Keith, Mick, and Ronnie playing in the studio? I assume it is (or was) on YouTube—I’ve tried searching, but have come up empty…