JGC Open Mic XVIII / 18 - Call For Interest

JGC Open Mic XVIII / 18 to be held on Saturday 19th August 2023

Hiya folks !!

A little later than normal but we wanted to allow performers to sign up for the Justinguitar YouTube Community Livestream before issuing the Call For Interest for our next open mic in August. So now @Richard_close2u has closed the application door for that event, we can now open the door to the next JGC Open Mic. :smiley:

So if you are interested in participating, as either a Performer or a member of the Audience, please register your intent by replying to this topic. Full details below, so please read in full.

The video for the latest Justin Guitar Community Open Mic can be seen here

JGC Open Mic 17 - Recording & After Show Chat

Potential Performers please take your time to read the information below and ensure you meet the required criteria to join our merry band of troubadours!

Performer Application Window will be open for nearly three weeks, so you have until
1900 UTC Monday 31st July to sign up.
Selection will then be made based on the details below.

Those wishing to join the audience only, please advise in reply to this post and include your local time zone in UTC, so we can make sure you are informed of the correct start time. Audience requests are not restricted and will be accepted until a few hours before the show.

Come and join the fun and experience what it is like to play in front of a live audience, right in the room with you. Its the closest you will get to a real “out in the world” Open Mic !!!

Please make sure you read the following information in respect of the event, for both potential performers and audience alike.

JGC Open Mic Dates For 2023

OM 18 19 Aug
OM 19 30 Sep
OM 20 11 Nov

Don’t forget these open mics are available to all members of the Community (who meet the criteria – see below) regardless of their playing level. You do not have to sing either, it is all about the guitar. We also welcome any non-english singing/speaking members who wish to sing in the own language. The door is open to all, so come on in!

Anyone interested in taking part, in either capacity, please read the new Justin Guitar Community Open Mic events – How They Work, Access & Eligibility 31 guide.

BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR UTC TIME ZONE AS REQUESTED

With the growing interest and greater visibility of the events, we have had to set some new criteria for running the shows, which will be self-explanatory on reading the guide. So please take the time to do so, before posting your request to attend. Performers, please ensure you meet the Performer Criteria before requesting a slot.

The organizers will identify the appropriate start time based on time zones, as described in the Justin Guitar Community Open Mic events – How They Work, Access & Eligibility 31 guide.
Once the performer entries are submitted and finalised, the organisers will evaluate the time zones involved and determine whether to host a show favouring the Americas and Europe (EMEA/WEST) or Asia, Australasia and Europe (EMEA/EAST). Start times for these two regions would be as follows (subject to daylight saving adjustments):

• EMEA/WEST 19:00 UTC – (Saturday) 20:00 London and 15:00 New York, (Sunday) 05:00 Sydney
  • EMEA/EAST 10:00 UTC – (Saturday) 20:00 Sydney 11:00 London 06:00 New York

Please be mindful of both possible start times, when making your application. As you can see your UTC Time Zone declaration is critical to the planning of events.

Please note there will normally be a maximum of 22 performers each allocated a set of around 5 minutes. So, if you have played at the recent Open Mics, please give consideration to those Community members who may be stepping up to the plate for the first time.

Performer applications will NOT be confirmed until after entries have been closed. This will still give Performers 3 weeks to prepare for the show. So please do not expect immediate confirmation.

Note : I will post a list of Performers on or around 1900 UTC Monday 31st July.

There are no limitations on the Audience numbers and I will confirm such requests, as they are made. An Audience List will also be published at the same time as the Performer List and will be updated, as further requests are received up and until the weekend of the show.

As usual updates will follow.

Please let me know if you are interested as either a performer or audience member and ensure you state your time zone in UTC.

(For reference - Time Zone Map) 11

For more information on how to access Zoom and set up your audio and video connection for the Open Mic events, please refer to this guide.

Open Mic Tech Talk - How to Setup Zoom

** Please take note of the additional guidance regarding the use of background filters **

Here’s more background information, for those interested: The Community Open Mic Events category 1

Finally, as stated in the Justin Guitar Community Open Mic events – How They Work, Access & Eligibility 31 guide, a link to the Zoom meeting, will be sent to both Performers and Audience Member approximately one week before the event, by direct message.

Thank you for your support.

The JGC Open Mic Organisers

9 Likes

Hi Toby, yes please for performing UTC+1.

4 Likes

And Lara ?

Sorry not this one as we’re away that weekend.

1 Like

Oh yes.

4 Likes

I’ll have a crack please Toby.

UTC +1

4 Likes

I’ll have to miss this one Toby, as we’ll be on holiday. :sunny:

1 Like

Audience for me please Toby, UTC +1 :+1:

1 Like

Audience, please, Toby. I’ve missed the last two, but with good excuses - one I was at a gig by When Rivers Meet, the other I was at my sister’s 70th birthday party! Also watch this space, after I’ve dropped one or two more AVOYP vids, I may just step up for the OM!!

6 Likes

Hi Toby, I’d like to poke my head above the parapet again please.
UTC +1

5 Likes

Hi Toby,
I’d love to be on the performers list for Aug 19th
I’m in the UK, so I reckon GMT +1
Cheers
Ruaridh

3 Likes

Please sign me up to perform this round… I can’t wait to be there.

Thanks

Jeff - San Diego California UTC-7

3 Likes

Thought I’d do a bulk reply to the recent applications :wink:

Into the Performers Pot
@malz
@liaty
@notter
@eccleshall
@sdkissfan *

Theatre Seats Booked

@durquhart
@theoldman66

• good to see Jeff stepping up to make his debut.

Thanks for your support as always.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Let me try again, Toby.

I’ll do a song, happy to stand down for those less regular.

And I’m still in Joburg, UTC+2

Thanks as always for keeping on with the pre-show logistics.

3 Likes

Toby, I’ll have another try at performing, numbers permitting. UTC + 1.

3 Likes

I’l like to sign up for 2 songs if that’s allowed. Want to see if I can pull that off before thinking about doing it for a Youtube Live Stream.

GMT-5 I think (Boston MA USA )

2 Likes

Could I please get a seat in the audience as well? :slightly_smiling_face: UTC +3

1 Like

Hi Toby, could you add me to the performers pot?
UCT +2
Thanks

1 Like

@JokuMuu seat booked Nicole. :+1:

Into the performer pot goes

@Sebastian_Dewulf-Ortega
@John_in_Dot - John, the number of songs will be determined by the final number of performers we have for the show. I will confirm that once the application window closes July 31st.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Toby, please sign me up for the audience. UTC-7.
Thanks!

1 Like