J.W.C. Learning Log

An index of my recordings posted here, to date:

Dismaiden (initial demo - work in progress)

How Great Thou Art

Ninety Miles An Hour (Down A Dead End Street)

Mundi Dolore (Demo)

Motherland (211220)

Nothing Compares 2 U

Is There Anybody Out There?

Desperado

Battle of Evermore Noodling on Mandolin

Robin Reddocke

Girl From The North Country

The Times They Are A’Changing

Every Rose Has Its Thorn

St. James Infirmary Blues

Lament

Waymore’s Blues

Old Town Road

Nobody Home

The Ride

Sixteen Tons

Knocking On Heaven’s Door

5 Likes

What an impressive catalogue Jason. Such quality.

2 Likes

Wonderful music, JWC, an inspiration to me … in time I shall be more than delighted to get closer to your level of performance.

I have always noticed and enjoyed the images you select to go with the songs, doesn’t change the music, but just adds a little cherry on the sumptuous cake.

1 Like

Thanks, David. I always enjoy the hunt to find an image to go with a song.

Wow Jason that’s great list ! Super share sir :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ugh, can’t edit my initial post any longer (to update the “index”). I posted another track in AVOYP.

Motherland (211220)

Not quite worked how long the edit function stays open but I think it is also related to Trust Levels :sunglasses:

That is correct, Toby. At Member TL the default edit window is 30 days. But I understand that there are good reasons for limiting the edit window.

What would be useful, maybe, would be for a particular Category or Sub-category to be setup so that posts can be edited in perpetuity, perhaps the OP. For example, a recordings catalog like JWC is maintaining.

Similar I think it would be neat if we could set up the Roster for an OM on the OP of the Call for Interest for the event and then update the Roster in just that Post. All the replies, indicating interest, the banter could just follow. But you’d always know where to find the Roster.

@LievenDV @Richard_close2u not sure what is possible as well as sensible?

2 Likes

Beautiful. I’ve always enjoyed your recordings and have missed hearing from you. Where’ ya been lately?! :wink:

1 Like

Thank you, Pamela. Around late spring of 2021 I got super-busy with a big project at work which ate into my time. I still kept my hand in, musically, but just didn’t have the same amount of time to record and participate in the forums and such. Work pressure has eased off a bit (partially because of progress on our project, and partially due to the holidays), so here I am again! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner @DavidP - My trust level went up, which allowed me to edit the initial post, again. I guess that permission will probably disappear (again) after some time, but I’m taking advantage of it for now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I think the default is 30 days, but it can be changed by the Sys Admin

1 Like

Decided to publicly post some goals with the idea of helping with motivation and accountability in the upcoming year. :slight_smile:

I have several originals that have been “in the works” (or sitting idle) for some time. I want to finish at least some of those. They include:

• Sweetheart Like You (acoustic guitars + vocal)
  • Queen of Air & Darkness (open g acoustic guitar, low whistle, some vocals, mandolin?)
  • Vanquished (acoustic guitars + vocal)
  • Groovin Down To Gruene (electric guitar, vocals, etc)
  • Measure of My Worth (acoustic guitar + vocal)
  • When I Drink Alone

I also created an arrangement of Me Anvez eur Goulmik (“I love a turtledove” - a traditional Celtic tune) for an open-tuned guitar and pennywhistle that I’d like to record.

Covers on my “I want to learn/record these” list include:

• Big Empty
  • Wicked Game
  • Friend of the Devil
  • Like A Stone
  • Society
  • Bob Wills Is Still The King
  • Forever Autumn

Also, I want to experiment more with recording electric through my GT-1000Core multi-effects unit. So maybe some improv/lead stuff over a progression. Not necessarily songs, just practice and playing with the GT-1000Core.

I guess that’s plenty, for now…

3 Likes

Very nice list Jason, I see you also got a bug called Society, man that is a great song!

I would be however most interested in Like a Stone cover, one of my favs from Audioslave and I am super keen to hear how will you tackle it! :grinning:

Oooooh I’m looking forward to hearing these beauties Jason.

Yes, I agree. When I heard @MapleBrain’s version it went straight onto my list. :slight_smile:

Ha! You picked out the one with the most challenging vocal (for me, anyway). Cornell is tough to cover. I don’t even try to match his vocals, exactly, I just kind of do my own “inspired by” thing with them. I had a fairly tough time with my take on Nothing Compares 2 U, and I expect Like A Stone to be just as challenging. But I’ll give it a shot.

Well, I’m on record, now, so I’ll do my best to deliver!

2 Likes

Wow, that’s an impressive collection of recordings, go team Jason!

1 Like

It’s that time of year, so good for you sharing your goals. I’ve been thinking about goals for the new year as well, and I also nudged Society onto my list of songs to learn :smiley:

1 Like

Absolutely and I personally don’t expect you to copy paste Cornell vox wise, you deliver top quality recordings Jason so I am keen to see how high the bar will be set this time around!

I’m starting to catch a bug too haha! @Richard_close2u perhaps a new challenge? :wink:

1 Like